Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

paulmorgan
Helper II
Helper II

REST API pull with pagination

I'm fairly new using APIs for building a Power BI report. I'm sure there is an easy way to do this, but I don't know how to proceed.

I have a single pull from a REST API.

Each page in the response is 1000 rows long. I need to figure out what type of Do/While loop to insert into the Advanced Editor so that it pulls 4 pages (my output is just over 3,000 rows).

Just using pageIndex=1 and pageSize=1000 (hardcoded), after converting to a table inside the Advanced Editor, I get the text below. What should I insert into this so that I pull however many pages are required to get the full output?

Thank you in adance.

let
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://api.connect.company.com/v1/retrieve?pageIndex=1&pageSize=1000")),

#"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Ignore),
#"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"geography_name", "geography_id", "region_name", "module_id", "module_name", "time_period_formatted", "time_period", "value", "rating_name", "parent_rating_name"}, {"geography_name", "geography_id", "region_name", "module_id", "module_name", "time_period_formatted", "time_period", "value", "rating_name", "parent_rating_name"})
in
#"Expanded Column1"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @paulmorgan,

You can take a look at the following document about the help functions about processing pagination api if it meet your requirement:

Helper Functions#tablegeneratebypage 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @paulmorgan,

You can take a look at the following document about the help functions about processing pagination api if it meet your requirement:

Helper Functions#tablegeneratebypage 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Use a recursive function

getdata(offset,count)

Then inside that function do your API call.  If the result (returned rows) is the same as the count, increase the offset by one and call the function again.  If it is less, pack up, and return the collected rows back to the calling process.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I'm not that familiar with how to do what you suggest.

However, I will send this suggestion to someone in our development team and ask for assistance on how to implement.

Thanks again

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.