Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Chthonian
Helper III
Helper III

REST API: Update Report Content Error "PowerBIEntityNotFound"

Hello fellow Data Nuts 😁

I decided to dip my toe in the mystical world of the PowerBI REST API today and while I am up and running I am facing an issue where I am getting an error when I am trying to use the "Update Report Content" API Call.

{
"error": {
"code": "PowerBIEntityNotFound",
"pbi.error": {
"code": "PowerBIEntityNotFound",
"parameters": {},
"details": [],
"exceptionCulprit": 1
}
}
}
POST https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/groups/{groupId}/reports/{reportId}/UpdateReportContent
{ 
"sourceReport": { 
"sourceReportId": "{sourceReportId}", 
"sourceWorkspaceId": "{sourceWorkspaceId}" 
}, 
"sourceType": "ExistingReport" 
}

I have a valid bearer token, and other API calls are working fine. I am copying the group and report guid's direct from the URL's in the service but still getting the error message above.

Also, i do have the app setup correctly with all azure app settings, definitely has the correct scope for the call.

Hoping somebody could help me troubleshoot this api call.

Thanks in advance,

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I wanted to come back here with a clever reason why it was not working, but quite simply because I had made a very very simple rookie mistake. I had my report ID & workspace ID's in the wrong order in the body!

Lesson learned: Triple check your bloody code 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

@lbendlin Unfortunately yes I do. I've deleted report copies in the target workspace, recopied and attempted the report update api call again with the same result.

Then you have bigger issues.  Maybe you don't have permission.  What's the error in the sandbox?

I wanted to come back here with a clever reason why it was not working, but quite simply because I had made a very very simple rookie mistake. I had my report ID & workspace ID's in the wrong order in the body!

Lesson learned: Triple check your bloody code 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.