Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JohnTheDoe
Frequent Visitor

REST API: Change a reports data source

If I have a report saved in the PowerBI Service, is there a way to use PowerBI's REST API to fetch that report and change that report's data source to use a local dataset (CSV File) instead without having to open PowerBI Desktop application?

I know I can fetch Reports from the service to render it in my own application. However I don't want it to always display the same data it has, but display the data of my choosing from a local dataset in the computer.

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JohnTheDoe  did you achieve this ? I'm trying to figure out the same thing to be able to upload a report with a Test datasource and once tested&verified change its datasource to a production one.

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @JohnTheDoe,

Since the data source is the CSV files, datasets/updatedatasources can't help here. Maybe you can try datasets/updateparameters. Please also refer to the #restrictions

BTW, if you use the On-premises gateway, you should add all the data source first.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-jiascu-msft Thanks for the reply!

I'll give datasets/updateparameters a try then. I'm also considering trying out reports/Rebind as well. 

Will update if anything comes up.

Thanks!

Hi @JohnTheDoe,

Did you achieve it?

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.