Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about Power BI embedded and RLS

Hi everyone, 

I have successfully convinced my workplace to consider Power BI for corporate wide reports, and hopefully migrate out of Tablueo for reports.

Our considerations is that we have around 175 users, and likely the best way to service them economically is through the Power BI embedded service through Azure. We have an internal development team ready to utilize this service.

How does RLS work with power BI embedded? I have read the documentation here but left with more questions. We have a database table of users with usernames and roles. After setting up RLS in the report through the desktop client and publishing the report to web, do we simply pass the API the username of the viewer looking at the embedded content, and it will filter out results based on his role? What stops someone from modifying their API call to pass a different username, and impersonate their privilages?

WIll RLS be updated if RLS is based on the users and roles that are in our database? i.e, if we hire, terminate, or promote employees who have permisions to view them, and our HR system updates our database  tables of users and roles to represent their terminated or employed roles, will they be updated with the RLS permissions?

Is there any way to pass filter parameters through the API for a particular report? Say if a report contained all data of 50 states of the US, and we want to get a report that only had 1 state. Can we pass the API a parameter of "TX" to filter for only "texas" states?

Is there any way to test how RLS would work in embedded without deploying the azure service? 

Thanks,

2 REPLIES 2
Robbief
Helper II
Helper II

Hi - We've been using this on our multi-tenant application - it works amazingly - and is very secure!

I won't go into details, but if you watch this video - it will answer all your questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swnGlrRy588&feature=push-lsb&attr_tag=leb75ap6H9IrfYGR-6

God Speed!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the video, I am running through some of the sample code of using the API on GitHub. If i am mistaken, did the video go into detail on how to implement RLS in power BI? Is there a video that does or a sample of embedded using RLS?

Thanks, the videos are very helpful in me trying to implement the Power BI API.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors