Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vivek_jain
Advocate II
Advocate II

Queries related to automating power bi Reports publishing

Need help for below queries :

• We are writing a utility in PowerShell to automate importing of reports and then updating the dataset schedule refresh - Data source credentials to the respective azure sql data source credentials.Import Api has been developed and is working fine with publishing the reports. Now , we are stuck with finding an appropriate PowerBI REST Api by which we can update the dataset - schedule refresh - Data source credentials for the dataset of the report which was published by first step.I tried below api, but seems this works only for Direct Query. In our case , we are not using direct query , instead we are using schedule refresh- import option. Set All Connections REST Api:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/mt748181.aspx

Below first screen shot shows the error I get when I try to call via postman client.

Can you please provide any suggestions/api with steps by which we can achieve this if in case it is possible?

• We observed that from app.powerbi.com, I am not able to update server details in the dataset options- dataset schedule refresh - Data source credentials . (See second screenshot below). Is this a limitation from power bi or can you guide me how to get this access to change server details from powerbi portal ?Screenshot1.pngScreenshot2.png.jpg
2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @vivek_jain,

The Set All Connections operation API only supports DirectQuery datasets. And changing data source(i.e. server name or database name) for a dataset directly on Power BI service is not supported currently. So I would suggest you submit your requirements on Power BI Ideas forum to improve Power BI on this feature. Smiley Happy

Regards

Thanks @v-ljerr-msft , so do you mean that PowerBI Desktop is the only option for publishing reports with correct dataset datasource credentails ? Any future roadmap that you are aware about where we can have such api capability in future powerbi versions ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.