Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

xabikos
Frequent Visitor

Provision A SKU embedded capacity and location

For the needs of embedding reports in our SaaS platform we have to provision Power BI embedded capacity in Azure, A SKU capacity. We have a problem though to identify correctly the value of the location property. 

First we tried to use the corresponding PowerShell command but when we execute it like this:

New-AzureRmPowerBIEmbeddedCapacity -ResourceGroupName "rc-reporting" -Name "rcdevembeddedcpacity" -Administrator "powerbidevmaster@xxxxx.onmicrosoft.com" -Location "northeurope" -Sku A1

we get back the following error 

New-AzureRmPowerBIEmbeddedCapacity : Invalid Sku: 'A1'. Available Skus are: ''

And whatever the values we tried (A1 to A6) we got back the same error.

We managed to provision embedded capacity when we used the following ARM template

{
      "comments": "Power BI embedded capacity",
      "apiVersion": "2017-10-01",
      "type": "Microsoft.PowerBIDedicated/capacities",
      "location": "North Europe",
      "name": "[variables('powerbiCapacityName')]",
      "sku": {
        "name": "A1",
        "tier": "PBIE_Azure"
      },
      "properties": {
        "administration": {
          "members": [
            "powerbidevmaster@xxxxxx.onmicrosoft.com"
          ]
        }
      }
    }

And the command to deploy 

New-AzureRmResourceGroupDeployment -ResourceGroupName "rc-reporting" -TemplateFile .\powerbi.json -prefix "rcdev"

Our main issue is to identify the right value for the Location property. We can't use whatever location we would like, for example the location resource group resides in. It's related to the location the Power BI Service exists for the data center or similar. According to the documentation here

"The location where Power BI is hosted for your tenant. This setting is resolved automatically, a different location cannot be selected." 

Indeed when you try to provision the capacity through Azure portal you can only select one location so it's resolved automatically. In our case we need to automate this process and don't have a manual step. So we don't know how to correctly retrieve this location property though PowerShell. Omitting completely the Location property results to an error that it is required.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tarostok
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Hi,

We do not have an API that returns your PBI location.

Currently it can only be done manualy either my looking in the location Azure portal selects for you or by going to Power BI portal and clicking ? -> About Power BI - there you will see your location as well.

Thanks,

Tal

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
tarostok
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Hi,

We do not have an API that returns your PBI location.

Currently it can only be done manualy either my looking in the location Azure portal selects for you or by going to Power BI portal and clicking ? -> About Power BI - there you will see your location as well.

Thanks,

Tal

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @xabikos,

First we tried to use the corresponding PowerShell command but when we execute it like this:

New-AzureRmPowerBIEmbeddedCapacity -ResourceGroupName "rc-reporting" -Name "rcdevembeddedcpacity" -Administrator "powerbidevmaster@xxxxx.onmicrosoft.com" -Location "northeurope" -Sku A1

we get back the following error 

New-AzureRmPowerBIEmbeddedCapacity : Invalid Sku: 'A1'. Available Skus are: ''

And whatever the values we tried (A1 to A6) we got back the same error.

I noticed that the -Sku parameter should be a String value. So have you tried putting A1 in double quote in the command(like -Sku "A1") to see if it works?

Honestly I'm not very familiar with Azure PowerShell commands. If it is still doesn't work, I would suggest you also create a new issue on  Azure PowerShell Issues for better assistance. Smiley Happy

Regards

Hello @v-ljerr-msft

Thank you for your reply. 

I tried to pass the Sku parameter as string, with double quotes but no luck.

I will see if posting an issue on the corresponding GitHub issue might help.

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors