Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shhafiz
Employee
Employee

Programmatically Export Dashboard to PNG

I have seen APIs and examples hosting dashboards in a web app. Using these or otherwise, can we programmatically export dashboard into a PNG (or any image)? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
shhafiz
Employee
Employee

I have found  a solution internally. Our organization uses an inernal APP that is capable of hosting Power BI dashboard. This is the solution that worked for me.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
shhafiz
Employee
Employee

I have found  a solution internally. Our organization uses an inernal APP that is capable of hosting Power BI dashboard. This is the solution that worked for me.

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@shhafiz wrote:

I have seen APIs and examples hosting dashboards in a web app. Using these or otherwise, can we programmatically export dashboard into a PNG (or any image)? 

@shhafiz

AFAIK, it is not possible to export dashboard into a PNG or any image, not to mention any Programmatical API. May I know why you'd like the dashboard images? If to integrate the images to your application, there's a feature embedding dashboards which has more interactions than images.

Anyway, you can submit your request at Power BI Ideas and vote it up.

@Eric_Zhang  I need to take these images and then export them to a system which will show these on a screen. I guess another possiblity is if the system itself was capable of hosting PowerBI dashboards directly. For now, it can only accept images so I was thinking of an way to automate this.

Hi @shhafiz

Actually i am doing the same, export to Power Point, then save all slides as PGN to present the reports (screens) in another application which allows me show the data in a Wall Monitor. if i try to present the Power BI embed link, it takes too much time to load.

Hello,

I'm facing exactly the same problem for the same need and I agree, displaying the report using the web link takes tomuch time.

The REST API provided by microsoft can be only use if you have a Premium Licence which is very expensive (too expensive for a small company).

For example in France :

A Pro licence costs around 8 € / month / user.

For a company of 300 like mine, having around 20 Pro licences makes sens.

The total cost is then 160 € / month (for all Pro Licences).

In the same time, the cost of the Premium Licence is 4000 € / month which toot too expensive for my company.

The problem is that there s nothing inbetween these two licence types. The gap is to big

Unfortunately, some basic features like exporting a report to a PNG format are not available with Pro licences which is, from my point of view incomprehensible.

Because of this lack of basic functionalities, and even if I have already developped many reports with PowerBi, I'm currently looking for another reporting tool.

For sure,  Power Bi is a very good tool, but, at the end, it has not been designed for "small companies" (I mean companies with less than 1000 people) or tou have to do many tasks manually.

We are in the 21rst century and I m not going to pay someone in my team to manually export reports to PNG several time a day, just to update the KPIs screens into the mill 🙂 .

Which is also incomprehensible for me is that some companies sells app to export PowerBi reports. I've never tested them but it seems to be possible. So why Microsoft lets other IT companies selling these softs to 'fill' the lack of basics features of PowerBi ?

I would be ready to pay let's say the double price (320 € / month) to have more "basics" functionalities but not 4000 € / month.

Well, if someone has found a free solution just to export a report to a PNG format before I let down PowerBi , can you please share your secret with me ? 🙂

Best Regards,

Jerome Mazet

IT Manager - SEMAT GROUP - France

@hmedinaa

But you need to do this manually right, not automatically through some app or code?

Hi @shhafiz

Yes, doing manually, more than 4 times at day. i am looking for an automated solution from Power BI

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.