Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

joemensor
Helper I
Helper I

Problems updating Custom Visuals in Power BI Desktop

Since I have updated to the April release of Power BI desktop, if I make changes to my visual in the dev tools, re-import and test, changes are not reflected. I have to shutdown and restart Power BI desktop! 

Why has this changed and can I get Power BI desktop to reload an updated custom visual!?

8 REPLIES 8
Cubist
Advocate II
Advocate II

Same problem almost a year later.  If anyone solved it please advise.

thanks-

Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, the only place where the guid id needs to be incremented is in the pbiviz.jons file:

for example:

{
"visual": {
  "name": "d3jsvisual",
  "displayName": "D3V5JSVisual",
  "guid": "D3JSVisual_PBI_CV_CDD143DEC3A145E7A507B562AF6CF492",
  "visualClassName": "D3JSVisual",
  "version": "2.0.0",
  "description": "",
},
"apiVersion": "1.11.0"
}

Then when you run 'pbiviz package', the new guid is used.
Anonymous
Not applicable

It might be worth nothing that this thread came about from a much earlier version of the API.  I think its a bit different now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is going to sound like a strange solution but i had the same problem and this is what i did to fix it:

Find the GUID in your file.  Everywhere you have references this GUID, increment the number by 1.

Everytime you need to import a changed version of your visual, you will need to update the value.  It seems to remember

Fyi, someone from MS is currently attempting to help with this issue on another thread.

I started this thread to try and consolidate this question and what appear to be two other related questions on the same topic:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/How-is-fast-iteration-coding-done-with-a-PBI-Custom-Visua...

Thanks Ross -

Its worth a shot.

itayrom
Resolver II
Resolver II

I encountered this issue as well. Couldn't find a workaround yet.

Did anybody issue a formal ticket to Microsoft yet, or should I do the honors?

bgirard
Regular Visitor

I have the same issue...  Any news regarding this? 

To reproduce;

1- Create a custom visual in using https://app.powerbi.com/devTools

2- Export custom visual as a pbiviz

3- Open PowerBi Desktop, import a dataset

4- Import the pbiviz

5- Save and close PowerBI Desktop

6- Update custom visual in using https://app.powerbi.com/devTools

7- Export new version of custom visual, overwriting the pbix

8- Open PowerBi Desktop with the pbix saved at step 5

The viz in the pbix is still the previous viz from step 4.  Reimporting the pbviz again, does not work, the viz is still the old one, not the new one from step 7.

This means that any pbix containing a version of the custom viz will not be updated with new versions. 

A- FOR TESTING: As we must spend time reloading the custom viz in an empty pbix, and recreate a test report each time.  We cannot simply have one test reports, just reload it, update the pbiviz.

B- FOR PRODUCTION:  pbix build using a custom viz will be stuck with that version.  Updating to a new version of the pbiviz will require a complete rebuild of all the reports from a clean, data only pbix.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.