Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Premium capacity methods require caller to be capacity admin?

I need an authenticated user to be able to call these methods:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/capacities/getcapacities

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/capacities/groups_assigntocapacity

We have a single capacity set up on which I am the capacity admin.

I have no problem calling the required APIs. However my colleague is having trouble. When he calls the get capacities method, he gets back an empty list. When calls the assign to capacity method using a workspace he owns, he gets a PowerBINotAuthorizedException error.

As far as I can see, the key difference is that I am a capacity admin and he is not. He is a service admin on the capacity, he has the assignment permission, and he has been assigned the Power BI Service Admin role in AAD. He is able to assign a workspace to the capacity using the portal.

Will these methods only work for capacity admins? If so, that seems like a big limitation. Especially since capacity admins can only be specified when a capcacity is being created and cannot be later updated. Perhaps I'm missing something?

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I think that is an intentional limitation. What is preventing you from adding that person to the capacity admin role?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.