Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Powershell cmdlet Get-PowerBIDatasource

Hi,

I'm trying to use Powershell to pull data lineage information from the API.  My thought was that I could enumerate the reports in a workspace, then enumerate the datasets that feed those reports, and then enumerate the data sources that feed the dataset.

My first trial run was using the get-powerbidatasource cmdlet to return the data sources associated with a given dataset. 

Connect-PowerBIServiceAccount
Get-PowerBIDatasource -DatasetId b4fe03be-07ca-4d4d-81d7-bc67877022d2

The API returns an answer, but rather than giving me all the detail about the source, the only thing it returns is DatasourceType and ConnectionDetails.  Name, ConnectionString, GatewayID, and DatasourceID are all blank. 

Name              : 
ConnectionString  : 
DatasourceType    : AnalysisServices
ConnectionDetails : Microsoft.PowerBI.Common.Api.Shared.DatasourceConnectionDetails
GatewayId         : 
DatasourceId      : 

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Re: Powershell cmdlet Get-PowerBIDatasource

Bump - any thoughts on this?  The API call GET https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/datasets/{datasetId}/datasources returns all of the information I'm looking for in JSON format.  I'm just curious why the cmdlet doesn't return the same things as the API call?

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Super Users of the Quarter - Q2 2020

Super Users of the Quarter - Q2 2020

Who are our Super User Superstars? Who made it to the top of the leaderboards? Get the answers!

June 2020 Community Highlights

June 2020 Community Highlights

Featured community members, changes to the Community, and more! Read up on recent Power BI community news.

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors