Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cgstdevops

PowerShell API Get/Update Datasource for SPN

Hello,

I am trying to automate the changing of a datasource for a report with a PowerShell script

When trying to call Get-PowerBIDatasource  and Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod to update a datasource when authenticated as a service principal, I am receiving a 403 Unauthorized error. 

My SPN is an admin in the workspace and I  made sure to take over the dataset.   

I did confirm that I can do this with a non-service principal.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
migs
Frequent Visitor

I am running into the same issue. I can connect fine with the -ServicePrincipal option. Get-PowerBIWorkspace runs fine. Get-PowerBiReport runs fine as well. The script fails at the following line:

$PbiDataSourcesObject = (Get-PowerBIDatasource -DatasetId $PbiReportObject.DatasetId)

The PS error message I get is:

An error has occurred!!
Error Line Number : 110
Error Command : $PbiDataSourcesObject = (Get-PowerBIDatasource -DatasetId $PbiReportObject.DatasetId)
Error Message : Operation returned an invalid status code 'Forbidden'

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cgstdevops 

Before you run Get-PowerBIDatasource  and Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod command, make sure you log in using Connect-PowerBIServiceAccount.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/MicrosoftPowerBIMgmt.Profile/Invoke-PowerBIRestMe...

Here are similar threads you could refer to:

Powershell API Update datasource

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/gateways/updatedatasource#windows_credentials_exa...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/encrypt-credentials

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the reply.

I am logging in successfully with  Connect-PowerBIServiceAccount so that's not the issue. After logging in, I can publish a report, get a report and several other operations, but I am unable to modify datasources from a service account. As mentioned before, I get a 403 Unathorized error. It looks as if service principals are not allowed to call these methods.  

I was able to do this with an actual user, so I am currently impersonating a real user to accomplish this automation. 

Thanks again and please let me know if there is something I am missing.

Neal

Hi @cgstdevops ,

Can you provide your full powershell script, so that I can try to reproduce the issue ? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.