Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mak
Helper I
Helper I

PowerBi Embeded Moving from Dev to Porduction

Hi

I have tested my reports in Dev mode, now would like to move the .pbix files to Production ,  Will the following work

1. I import the Reports in PowerBi Embeded Production workspace

2. Go to Set the Connection Strings and 

Enter the new Database Connection String and Credentails ??

or is there a better way to Move

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
TedPattison
Employee
Employee

First Question: Does your project have an imported dataset or does it use DirectQuery mode.

If your project is based on a DirectQuery mode dataset then you can proceeed as you suggest below using the .NET Power BI API to update the datase connection string and configure the credentials for database access.

However, if your project is based on an imported dataset is is critical to know one important fact. Power BI Embedded does not yet support server-side dataset refesh on imported datasets. That means you must update the PBIX file using Power BI Desktop and then overwrite the old PBIX import in the Azure workspace with the new version. The other big painpoint we have here is that there is no automated approach to regenerate a PBIX file with the most recent data. You have to fire up BI Desktop and build the PBIX file manually.

The Power BI team is well aware of these two painpoints. I know the Power BI embedded team is working hard to add refresh support and an automated process for building PBIX files. I am hopeful these issues will not exist much longer as the Power BI Embedded platform matures.

View solution in original post

My project is based on Direct Query mode, 

Glad, that it works with Connection Strings.. Thank you

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TedPattison
Employee
Employee

First Question: Does your project have an imported dataset or does it use DirectQuery mode.

If your project is based on a DirectQuery mode dataset then you can proceeed as you suggest below using the .NET Power BI API to update the datase connection string and configure the credentials for database access.

However, if your project is based on an imported dataset is is critical to know one important fact. Power BI Embedded does not yet support server-side dataset refesh on imported datasets. That means you must update the PBIX file using Power BI Desktop and then overwrite the old PBIX import in the Azure workspace with the new version. The other big painpoint we have here is that there is no automated approach to regenerate a PBIX file with the most recent data. You have to fire up BI Desktop and build the PBIX file manually.

The Power BI team is well aware of these two painpoints. I know the Power BI embedded team is working hard to add refresh support and an automated process for building PBIX files. I am hopeful these issues will not exist much longer as the Power BI Embedded platform matures.

My project is based on Direct Query mode, 

Glad, that it works with Connection Strings.. Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors