Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TareBear
Regular Visitor

PowerBI.com access to on-prem REST API via Post?

I have some in-house developed Self-Hostted REST APIs that are running on-prem.  They can return data via GET and POST requests, and they support https, azure active directory authentication, and anonymous authentication.  I would like to have a PowerBI dashboard that gets data from these REST APIs and puts it on the dashboard.

I know that PowerBI.Com can access web/cloud based REST services, but my question is: Does PowerBI Gateway support sending requests to an on-prem REST API like it does for an on-prem database via ODBC?  I am the developer of the in-house REST APIs, so I can add things if needed (such as key based authentication), but I cannot find online if the gateway supports this or how to set it up.  The only option that is off the table for this endeavor is that I cannot put the in-house developed REST APIs in the cloud, they must be run on-prem.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TareBear ,

If you are using Web.Contents to connect the restful, we can just add the datasource to the gateway in manage gateway, then map source to it in settings of dataset:

19.jpg20.jpg21.jpg22.jpg23.jpg24.jpg

As you can see in the above sample, the api server is on-premises, when we map dataset to the source of gateway, it will connecting by the gateway, make sure the machine which install the gateway can access the server by the source address.

If you are using other connector such as custom ODBC connector, it may need some additional setting, please refer to this document: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-custom-connectors

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TareBear ,

If you are using Web.Contents to connect the restful, we can just add the datasource to the gateway in manage gateway, then map source to it in settings of dataset:

19.jpg20.jpg21.jpg22.jpg23.jpg24.jpg

As you can see in the above sample, the api server is on-premises, when we map dataset to the source of gateway, it will connecting by the gateway, make sure the machine which install the gateway can access the server by the source address.

If you are using other connector such as custom ODBC connector, it may need some additional setting, please refer to this document: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-custom-connectors

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.