Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SachinC
Helper V
Helper V

PowerBI SendGrid Content Pack Merged With SQL Server Data

Hi there,

I wish to connect to a SendGrid content pack and also merge this with data from SQL Server.

When I use PowerBI online (I cannot connect to SendGrid using PowerBI Desktop), I can only connect to SendGrid but cannot connect to another SQL Server repository at the same time - is this correct?

If the above isn't true, feel free to correct me.

Thanks in advance,

S

9 REPLIES 9
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@SachinC

In addition to @Seth_C_Bauer, SendGrid has provided variable APIs to get data, check Using the Web API. A sample in that link is like

https://api.sendgrid.com/api/blocks.get.json?api_user=your_sendgrid_username&api_key=your_sendgrid_password

In this case, I think the "get data"->"other"->"web" can help to get data from Power BI desktop.

Eric - excellent suggestion, but unless I am doing something wrong, that API connected through the method you specify in PowerBI desktop doesn't open up the data source properly.  Can you help? You are getting very close....

Thanks.

@SachinC wrote:

Eric - excellent suggestion, but unless I am doing something wrong, that API connected through the method you specify in PowerBI desktop doesn't open up the data source properly.  Can you help? You are getting very close....

Thanks.

@SachinC

What do you mean "doesn't open up the data source properly"? What is wrong in your case?

I don't exactly know the SendGrid APIs, regarding the so called "data source", I think you would put more effort on researching the APIs.

Hi,

Using the API web call string, it authenticates, however I only get Kind, Name and Text (no idea what this means).  I was looking for the usual fields - i.e. #Sent, #Bounced, #Spam etc...

That's why this has thrown me!

Regards,
S

@SachinC wrote:

Hi,

Using the API web call string, it authenticates, however I only get Kind, Name and Text (no idea what this means).  I was looking for the usual fields - i.e. #Sent, #Bounced, #Spam etc...

That's why this has thrown me!

Regards,
S

So the web source already works.

You shall dig into the APIs to find out the ones that would return required data in your case. Regarding any question on SendGrid APIs, SendGridis official site is a proper place and you will get better response there.

Hi,

SendGrid have confirmed the API URL only contains a small element of what I need.  They will confer internally with their developers.

I am now snookered on what to do next? 

To recap, I want to mashup SendGrid & MS SQL data sources in one report / dashboard using PowerBI.  To go a level further, I may want to introduce Google Analytics into this, but for the moment the core focus is on SendGrid and SQL.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,

S

@SachinC wrote:

Hi,

SendGrid have confirmed the API URL only contains a small element of what I need.  They will confer internally with their developers.

I am now snookered on what to do next? 

To recap, I want to mashup SendGrid & MS SQL data sources in one report / dashboard using PowerBI.  To go a level further, I may want to introduce Google Analytics into this, but for the moment the core focus is on SendGrid and SQL.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,

S

I think you're pending on SendGrid, SQL Server is always ready for Power BI. Regarding anything next to do, maybe ask the SendGrid for any other way to get the usual fields - i.e. #Sent, #Bounced, #Spam etc. Does the content pack in Power BI service contains the all the fields required? If yes, expect the API way, there shall be some other programmable approach.

@SachinC  are you able to accomplish this?

@SachinC In order to mash up data from two sources, you need to get that data into Power BI Desktop. In the case of SendGrid, there currently isn't an out fo the box connector in the Desktop. So, you would need to explore other connection options, such as Odata to connect to the SendGrid data, and also pull in your SQL data if you needed to combine the two data sets.

The Service won't allow you to do this (as you assume).

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors