Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

baghbidi
Employee
Employee

PowerBI Embedded problem with Enterprise Gateway

Hi.

I have a report that gets data from local SQL Server instance. I have set up Enterprise Gateway and everything work fine on PowerBI desktop and website.

I have imported the report into a workspace and embedded it into my WebApp, but it doesn't show the data.

Other embedded reports which get data from Azure Database work fine!

Error is:

Couldn't load the data for this visual
You do not have access to an enterprise gateway.
Please try again later or contact support and provide the following details to help resolve your issue faster.

Error Code : DMTS_NoGatewayWithAllDatasourcesToBindError
Server : #####
Correlation : #####
Database : #####
ConnectionType{FieldValue}
Activity ID : #####
Request ID : #####
TimeFri May 20 2016 11:34:20 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
Version11.0.519.63518
Cluster URIhttps://wabi-west-us-redirect.analysis.windows.net/

Is there any congiurations that I missed?

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
jskibo
Regular Visitor

@dimazaid:  Any update on this?  It is the end of the year now.

Would like to hear status update as well.

I'm looking forward to see updates on this.

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for your patience, and sorry for not responding earlier. 
We still do not have an on-prem solution for Power BI Embedded, it's still a priortiy for our teams to deliver this and we're working on it. We do not have an ETA at the moment, but will reply here once we do. 

Thanks!
Dimah

The gateways team

we got a on prem gateway support for power bi embedded yet or still waiting for it ?
A quick update would b great !
Thanks in advance.

Hi @shivprasads,

It should be coming in the next few weeks through Power BI Premium. 

Hi @dimazaid,

I do not believe you answered the original question.  Yes, Power BI Report Server will support on-prem connectivity to a SQL Server Analysis Services database, but what about PBI Embedded?  When will PBI Embedded support on-prem connectivity?

Hi @jskibo,

Sorry, I must have missed it. 

Power BI Embedded now supports on-prem connections with the new Power BI premium announcements. Check it out here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-developer-embedding/

You can use your Power BI gateway and connections in Embedded. 

Thanks!
Dimah

I guess waiting is over with new Power BI Premium.

If I understood correctly it costs minimum 5000 usd/month, so now I'm even further away from the idea I wanted to try 🙂

healypaul
Regular Visitor

Hi, we would also desperately like to know the timeline for allowing embedded Power BI to work with the enterprise gateway.

It's a critical missing piece for us, until it becomes available we are unable to deploy Power BI as our customer-facing reporting solution. Desktop/web versions won't work for us, our solution needs to be embeded in an existing application. Plus, our data warehouse environment is too large to reside in the cloud at the moment.

Dimah, has there been any movement on resolving this? Would really appreciate any insight you can give.

Many thanks

Paul

I heard through the grapevines that this was supposed to be announced "any time now" (sorry for the vagueness).

Anyway, I hope that Microsoft understand the situation they put their customers and partners in with such lack of information / roadmap.

We cannot make business decisions, let alone sell solutions to customers, if we don't have some sort of roadmap. The way I see it, Power BI Embedded is "forbidden" territory until this problem is resolved. This also impact other areas of Power BI. Just take a look at uservoice.powerbi.com and look at all feedback that is marked as "planned" that we have no idea when will be ready (sometimes even "started" is an issue).

Although we the community love Power BI and are always enthusiastic to see what's new, customers are (most likely) not as passionate as we are. They want roadmaps, timeline, and fully implemented functionality. 

Sunkari
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@dimazaid: Any update on this.

hi @Sunkari,

The date for this has moved to the end of the year.

dimazaid
Employee
Employee

hi @baghbidi,
Appologies for the confusion. The PBI Embedded doesn't support on-prem connectivity yet. It'll be coming in the next few months.
I can see how the current message is confusing. It's a bug on our side and we'll fix soon. 
Thanks for reporting! 
Dimah

Hi Dimas, do you have news about it?

So...

It was said this would be "coming in the next few months". This was 3 months ago.

Since then Microsoft released Power BI Embedded to general availability without this fundamental functionality.

Just wondering... How many more months? Smiley Wink

Regards,

P.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.