Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shaunwilks
Helper V
Helper V

PowerBI API Visual Inactivity errors on drill down

We utilised the API within a webpage to return PowerBI account Reports.

The authentication token is passed to the website and the content displayed perfectly inside a webbrowser window.

There is no problem with the report.

The API gives full operation and all visuals operate in the manner expected - including all drill downs and drill throughs etc.

The problem occurs when focus is moved from the webpage to another, and then you return to the report.

After some period of time - cannot say for sure - you can return to the report and the report appears to be working well and you can navigate the report ok - BUT - if you attempt a drill down or expand you get the X on the visuals and "This content isnt available. Learn more about PowerBI"

If I refresh the entire webpage - the content and all functiomality returns to normal.

Can someone explain why the API works well in the webpage, but after some period of inactivity, returns and errors on visuals.

Is there some kind of inactivity timeout to be considered when utilising the API ?

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @shaunwilks,

If you didn't make any change in the Azure, the token will expire in one hour. Please refer to active-directory-configurable-token-lifetimes

This is the most possible cause. Please check your application to find out a way to extend the life of the token automatically.

Can you also share some snapshots, please?

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

We are still having issues around the token (refresh and access token) timeouts.

I wonder what the best course of action was to get assistance offline by supplying code and a better example of whats trying to be achieved.  Could someone perhaps provide some guidance on the next step in the support proces beyonfd the community.

Cheers

Thanks for the response.

Yes I think you were correct in terms of the auth token.

If we work in the API for more than an hour the first drill down after the hour is up returns the issue where the visuals dont show data.

That points to the auth token being used - and as I understand it we should be getting a refresh token after the auth token as that has a longer expiry period.  We used a powerbi API sample from web resource pages so clealry it was missing in there.

I wondered if you had any samples with the refresh token code in it we could work with ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.