Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

admin_xlsior
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

PowerApps integration in Power BI

Hello everyone,

Just looking for some idea or clue. In regards of PowerApps feature / integration inside Power BI, what usage are typically or able to create with PowerApps that we will be using inside Power BI ?

For now I'm only saw sample of insert/edit a record with PowerApps and then directly refresh chart, so is there any other activity that we can create by PowerApps to enhance Power BI, the report and the dashboard.

We will have Power Automate as well later in Power BI updates, so it is kind of exciting to see and try it, but I don't have any idea in which activity we can use it all, to make Power BI more 'powerful'

Speaking of edit or add data, it is also actually quite limited for me, since I'm using Direct Query, but I will welcome for every thought. What did you guys ever created with PowerApps which then will be used in Power BI ?

Any comment will be appreciated.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @admin_xlsior,

>>For now I'm only saw sample of insert/edit a record with PowerApps and then directly refresh chart, so is there any other activity that we can create by PowerApps to enhance Power BI, the report and the dashboard.

The integrate PowerApps to power bi often usually used to improve the limitations of power bi. (AFAIK, power bi not existed writeback or edit features to affect the data source)

For other operations on the dataview side, since PowerApps is interagre by the visual container. It does not mean all of the PowerApps features are integrated to power bi.

Some of the advanced operation/features have been limited by the visual container/'power bi service security', they not able to directly interact and achieve their features with power bi contents.

>>We will have Power Automate as well later in Power BI updates, so it is kind of exciting to see and try it, but I don't have any idea in which activity we can use it all, to make Power BI more 'powerful'

For power bi automate, you can use this to achieve advanced refresh with the power bi dataset or trace the dataset values of status and send the notification messages to special groups and invoke extract resources. (some of the features still required to integrate with other products, such as PowerApps, MS flow...)

Integrate Power Apps, Power Automate, and Power BI with SharePoint Online 

Refresh your Power BI dataset using Microsoft Flow 

Integrate Power BI data alerts with Power Automate 
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @admin_xlsior,

>>For now I'm only saw sample of insert/edit a record with PowerApps and then directly refresh chart, so is there any other activity that we can create by PowerApps to enhance Power BI, the report and the dashboard.

The integrate PowerApps to power bi often usually used to improve the limitations of power bi. (AFAIK, power bi not existed writeback or edit features to affect the data source)

For other operations on the dataview side, since PowerApps is interagre by the visual container. It does not mean all of the PowerApps features are integrated to power bi.

Some of the advanced operation/features have been limited by the visual container/'power bi service security', they not able to directly interact and achieve their features with power bi contents.

>>We will have Power Automate as well later in Power BI updates, so it is kind of exciting to see and try it, but I don't have any idea in which activity we can use it all, to make Power BI more 'powerful'

For power bi automate, you can use this to achieve advanced refresh with the power bi dataset or trace the dataset values of status and send the notification messages to special groups and invoke extract resources. (some of the features still required to integrate with other products, such as PowerApps, MS flow...)

Integrate Power Apps, Power Automate, and Power BI with SharePoint Online 

Refresh your Power BI dataset using Microsoft Flow 

Integrate Power BI data alerts with Power Automate 
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xiaoxin,

Yes, I agreed and aware of what you're mentioned. Sorry, but what I mean by asking here is for the real activity, take example of what I know and I tried :

1. I created PowerApps to add / edit record for my data sources (this is the one you're telling as well), and yes, it is because Power BI not able to do so.
  2. I created PowerApps to send email, I have apps to open email editor and send.
  3. I created PowerApps (and Power Automate) to convert data in my table visual to PDF 

These are bunch of real activity which  I want to know what else. So it is more on what real business / work activity that PowerApps covers. How to do it or the logic inside, this is the next step, I supposed.

Thank you.

Hi @admin_xlsior,

For PowerApps processings, I think you can post on the PowerApps forum to get further support.

Welcome to Microsoft Power Apps Community 
If you mean the logic of integrated contents. Normally, they will use backend API to achieve data interaction and refer power bi workflows to getting these data and shows into the visual container. 

For security reasons, power bi service does not allow its contents to direct send/receive the quest to external sites or resources.

Power BI Security#power-bi-architecture 

For power bi itself, it is a reporting tool and works to getting data to analyzing and design visualizations instead of directly embedding other types of product content and activities. (they can reduce the conflict and complexity of integration between power bi and different products)
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.