Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power Bi REST API - 401 Authorization error when using Service Principals

Hi!

I've been following this guide while setting up my app. Everything works fine if I use password credentials flow and supply my own userame/password to get an access token. However, if I try to use client credentials flow, I get a 401 whenever I call any power bi endpoint. 

I also tried downloading the sample application provided here. Using "App Owns Data", I get the same results. If I use MasterUser (username/pass), everything works fine. But if I use ServicePrincipal (cliend_id/client_secret), I get 401. 

I understand that this is a new feature and it's just a public preview. But has anyone had any luck getting it to work?

More details:

Azure:

• App registered with all available permissions for Power Bi Service.
  • Security group created with App as member.

Power BI:

• Workspace (new type) created.
  • Service principal enabled in admin panel and Azure security group (with App as member) added.
  • The security group is added as admin in the workspace access panel.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous ,

I made the Service Principal work in the "App Owns Data" demo and with the Rest APIs. It seems everything is set up correctly according to your description. Some suggestions are as follows.

1. Add the Service Principal as an admin in the workspace directly rather than add the security group. Please refer to article 5 in embed-service-principal#get-started-with-a-service-principal. We should use the Object ID.

Power-Bi-REST-API-401-Authorization-error-when-using-Service-Principals

2. The Service Principal inherit permission from the tenant rather than the Azure App permissions. 

>>>Service principals inherit the permissions for all Power BI tenant settings from their security group. To restrict permissions create a dedicated security group for service principals and add it to the 'Except specific security groups' list for the relevant, enabled Power BI settings.

3. I'm afraid you can't call the Admin REST API if the Service Principal doesn't have the permission.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
alexgor87
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi all, this resolved the issue for me:

1. Enable the tenant setting "Allow service principals to use Power BI APIs".
2. Create an AAD user group.
3. Create a Service Principal account and add it to the AAD user group.

4. Assign the AAD user group to the workspace access.
5. IMPORTANT! Assign Service Principal account to workspace access directly! So that you would have both AAD user group and Service Principal in the wotkspace access.

6. After that you can remove the Service Principal direct assignment, but the access will still work through AAD user group.

Maybe it's a bug, but something is deinitely happening in the background with service principals and AAD user groups access.

boylec
Advocate I
Advocate I

After banging my head against the wall for what feels like days I solved my problem.

I migrated from a master user where I used an authority url of: https://login.microsoftonline.com/common

When I switched to a service principal I had to change the authority url to: https://login.microsoftonline.com/{my AAD tenant id}

Which then allowed my API calls to work.

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous ,

I made the Service Principal work in the "App Owns Data" demo and with the Rest APIs. It seems everything is set up correctly according to your description. Some suggestions are as follows.

1. Add the Service Principal as an admin in the workspace directly rather than add the security group. Please refer to article 5 in embed-service-principal#get-started-with-a-service-principal. We should use the Object ID.

Power-Bi-REST-API-401-Authorization-error-when-using-Service-Principals

2. The Service Principal inherit permission from the tenant rather than the Azure App permissions. 

>>>Service principals inherit the permissions for all Power BI tenant settings from their security group. To restrict permissions create a dedicated security group for service principals and add it to the 'Except specific security groups' list for the relevant, enabled Power BI settings.

3. I'm afraid you can't call the Admin REST API if the Service Principal doesn't have the permission.

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! Your first comment gave me an idea. My issue was that i did not add the Service Principal itself as Admin, i added the Security Group it belonged to. I was not able to choose a service pricipal in the UI when adding access permissions. Instead, i had to use the API and now everything is working fine.

Best regards

It's my pleasure. I'm glad you made it work. Thanks for sharing the details. This feature is under preview. I believe it will be easy to use when it's generally available.

Best Regards,

Hello,

I'm having the same problem and believe I have applied the Service Principal as admin. I am using the following tutorial which seems to provide for that step specifically in step 5:  https://cloudarchitected.com/2019/03/embedding-power-bi-content-with-a-service-principal/

I am not immediately proficient in powershell or the Power BI API so it would be great if someone could confirm that step should have provided the correct outcome or if / how I can confirm further that I have implemented the resolution provided above correctly, or if not perhaps assist with script sample?

Many thanks for your help.

Rahman

I was able to get the auth token by using the service principal (client id, secret) however when I use the token and query (getReports) etc, it fails with 401. 

The trick to get the token was that the APP needs to be "Server-side web application" instead of "native".

However I believe the permissions are not being assigned when the app/security group is added to the Power BI API access.

Similar problem... I believe its related with the option  Allow Service Principal to use Power BI APIs. on the PowerBI Tenant settings. That is mentioned that has to be activated in https://sqlitybi.com/authenticating-power-bi-xmla-endpoint-using-service-principal/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Then you're in the same situation as me 🙂 I also manage to get the access token, but i can't use it.

The same problem. Give all rights to app in Azure. Enable "Allow Service Principal to use Power BI APIs" but still get 401 Eror. Helpppp

Anonymous
Not applicable

Make sure you target a new workspace and not the default "My Workspace" and check you have assigned all relevant permissions.

See my blog hope it helps : https://blog.joshduxbury.co.uk/2021/04/22/import-data-into-power-bi-using-rest-logic-apps/

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.