Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LAndris
Helper I
Helper I

Power Bi Metadata

Hi All,

I am attempting to use a single .pbit file to hold changes to formatting and visuals and then create multiple .pbix files from the .pbit file. These .pbix files would each use different databases and I was attempting to automate the connections used by editing the database in the metadata file DataModelSchema. I am successfully able to see the database name change when the file is unzipped and zipped back up but I am recieving an encryption error when attempting to connect to the database when opening the file. 

Is there something additional that must be edited in the metadata to allow the change in database to connect when opening the template, or is changing the database in the metadata corrupt the file?

Thanks,

Louis

2 REPLIES 2
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

This may be caused by the securitybindings file.

Please try replace the original zip file with the modified file, delete the securitybindings file, and then rename to .pbix. Avoid decompressing and compressing the original file directly.

After I changed the .Pbit to .Pbit.Zip, I copied the DataModelSchema and edited the database connection and replaced the file that was in the .pbit.zip file and then removed the SecurityBindings file. When I renamed the file back to .pbit/.pbix the connection still appears to not work as the encryption error is still ocurring with the authentication.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.