Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

FabioIkoMotta
Regular Visitor

Power Bi Embed: Can't load data for this visual

I follow exactly the sample (.sln) provide by Microsoft .

I create workspace, uploaded pbix file, update database connection string and display it in a MVC web.

Is works fine when the file I upload is new.

If I upload a file that I was previously published in Power Bi Service, it fails and show a warning "can't load data for this visual".

Both reports uses the same connection, database and tables.

Must I recreate the files or there is any work around?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
FabioIkoMotta
Regular Visitor

I find out the problem.

I published a pbix in Azure that was using RLS parameter.

Because this it works in Power BI Service and didn't in Azure.

Azure doesn't allows RLS.

Tks.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
FabioIkoMotta
Regular Visitor

I find out the problem.

I published a pbix in Azure that was using RLS parameter.

Because this it works in Power BI Service and didn't in Azure.

Azure doesn't allows RLS.

Tks.

thank you so much bro, it works for me

I created an excel file with three variables (year, month, cost) and then imported in to Power BI (desktop). I can see the relatioships and data, but when I tried to create the report (with a simple chart) and the error showed up: Can't load data for this visual

Not sure why.

hey FabioIkoMotta ,
Thanks you very much. You save my day. I was stuck in this issue for more than a day. I tried updated connection string after importing my pbix (as suggested in other post for direct query) but nothing happened. Then i came across your post and found out that i also have Roles created in my pbix files. Although i was not using these roles but just have created it but still i was getting forbidden error(401).
Then i deleted all the roles i have created in my pbix file then i imported again, updated connection string and it works.

Thanks again

hey FabioIkoMotta ,

Thanks you very much. You save my day. I was stuck in this issue for more than a day. I tried updated connection string after importing my pbix (as suggested in other post for direct query) but nothing happened. Then i came across your post and found out that i also have Roles created in my pbix files. Although i was not using these roles but just have created it but still i was getting forbidden error(401).

Then i deleted all the roles i have created in my pbix file then i imported again, updated connection string and it works.

Thanks again

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@FabioIkoMotta wrote:

I follow exactly the sample (.sln) provide by Microsoft .

I create workspace, uploaded pbix file, update database connection string and display it in a MVC web.

Is works fine when the file I upload is new.

If I upload a file that I was previously published in Power Bi Service, it fails and show a warning "can't load data for this visual".

Both reports uses the same connection, database and tables.

Must I recreate the files or there is any work around? 

That sounds really weird. I don't reproduce that. I can import an pbix that already published to Power BI Service to workspace and embed the report without problem.

Can you be more specific on your pbix, is that an DirectQuery to Azure database? If yes, have you configured the credential correctly? Regarding the warning "can't load data for this visual", what is the detailed message?

Capture.PNG

Tks for your answer.

Follow detailed message:

Código de status Http401

ID da atividade27fa4f5a-858f-4c2a-a7bc-c934ef3e63b5

ID de correlação47a9c5f8-571d-3e5c-a01d-ef727cefe773

Solicitar ID84a39c4d-6420-1a22-9895-e9b94704e4af

HoraThu Sep 08 2016 11:32:26 GMT-0300 (Hora oficial do Brasil)

Versão13.0.1605.432

Cluster URIhttps://wabi-brazil-south-redirect.analysis.windows.net/

@FabioIkoMotta

HTTP Error 401 means Unauthorized, can you be more specific on what is the database in your case, how the pbix connects to the database, direct query or import? How did you embed the report?

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@FabioIkoMotta Never really tried this but my guess is APIs that does upload has limitation on overriding existing pbix files that are already uploaded. If via power bi desktop you do that your report / dataset in service gets overwritten maybe APIs don't have that capability yet. I would suggest you try renaming the file and then publish. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.