Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

advuser1
Frequent Visitor

Power BI without Azure subscription

I have a customer who want to use Power BI for a POC, but do not have any Azure infrastructure. 

Is it possible to use Power BI without having Azure AD and Azure Subscriptions ?  

The customer want to acquire a handful of Power BI Pro licences and play with the Power BI including publishing to Power BI Service and sharing, collbaration and other features available for Pro licence users. They however do not want to invest in Azure AD or sign up to Azure for the POC.

Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @advuser1 ,

As far as I know, everytime Power BI account will need to get Azure AD token from Azure to sign in Power BI Service. When your customer sign up an account for Power BI, we check your email address.  If that domain is registered as a Tenant, we will try to add that user to the existing Tenant .  If the Tenant does not exist, we will create, what I call, a shadow tenant that isn’t managed by anyone, and add your user to that tenant. 

Then your account need to have license to Power BI. You can add free license in Microsoft 365 admin center. If you want to get Pro license, you need to purchase and assign license in 365 admin center or in Azure portal.

For reference:

Purchase and assign Power BI Pro user licenses

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jcalheir
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi,

There is a Microsoft 365 Developer program tha allows you to create a Free Microsoft 365 E5 account for development pursoposes. I know that this program does not aplly for commercial purposes, you should investigate if your acctual scenario applies or not.

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/dev-program

Also, Azure lets you create a trial account for 30 days with 200$ credit. You can also explore this option

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/offers/ms-azr-0044p/

v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @advuser1 ,

As far as I know, everytime Power BI account will need to get Azure AD token from Azure to sign in Power BI Service. When your customer sign up an account for Power BI, we check your email address.  If that domain is registered as a Tenant, we will try to add that user to the existing Tenant .  If the Tenant does not exist, we will create, what I call, a shadow tenant that isn’t managed by anyone, and add your user to that tenant. 

Then your account need to have license to Power BI. You can add free license in Microsoft 365 admin center. If you want to get Pro license, you need to purchase and assign license in 365 admin center or in Azure portal.

For reference:

Purchase and assign Power BI Pro user licenses

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.