Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

drewbyty

Power BI vs "Traditional" Report Writer - Updated Opinions for 2020

I wanted to get fresh opinions and thoughts on this since the threads asking this questions are dated (2016-2018).

The basic question is for a company that sells solutions that are web based and hosted in Azure what reporting options are available. I understand the trend and even great benefit of data transform, analysis, etc.. that Power BI offers, but there are still needs for a "traditional" report with groupings, sub-totals and such. A few questions I would like to get feedback on:

1. Is SSRS still a viable option for Azure cloud data to fill the need for traditional style reports?
  2. Does SSRS have a roadmap for development, with a cloud-based approach for support?

There are other 3rd party reporting solutions on the market as well, and there is a need for customers that work in a web based cloud solutions to "build" their own reports that are traditional styled in nature. I am struggling with finding a solution for Power BI and SSRS in this capacity. Other solutions such as ActiveReportJS and even desktop solutions that use cloud datasources seem a better fit in this scenario.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @drewbyty, and welcome aboard!

The SSRS path for the Power BI/Azure ecosystem is branded as Paginated Reports. You might already be aware of this but as you haven't specifically mentioned it in your post, I thought I'd better flag it just in case it hasn't come up in your research.

It is built using SSRS. It doesn't yet have full feature parity with SSRS on-prem but is catching up and is very much actively developed and maintained to fill the functional gaps that you've identified in your post.

It's a currently a premium-only feature and has its own report builder application, which is the continued evolution of the original standalone SSRS Report Builder app - I'm not sure if there is VS/SSDT support. It's speculated that it may come to Pro at some point but there's nothing firm on this so I would avoid banking on this for now.

I don't have premium capacity to advise further, but the linked doc should provide a good overview and there are a number of recent blog posts and videos if you search for Power BI Paginated Reports.

Hopefully this might help a bit. Good luck!

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @drewbyty, and welcome aboard!

The SSRS path for the Power BI/Azure ecosystem is branded as Paginated Reports. You might already be aware of this but as you haven't specifically mentioned it in your post, I thought I'd better flag it just in case it hasn't come up in your research.

It is built using SSRS. It doesn't yet have full feature parity with SSRS on-prem but is catching up and is very much actively developed and maintained to fill the functional gaps that you've identified in your post.

It's a currently a premium-only feature and has its own report builder application, which is the continued evolution of the original standalone SSRS Report Builder app - I'm not sure if there is VS/SSDT support. It's speculated that it may come to Pro at some point but there's nothing firm on this so I would avoid banking on this for now.

I don't have premium capacity to advise further, but the linked doc should provide a good overview and there are a number of recent blog posts and videos if you search for Power BI Paginated Reports.

Hopefully this might help a bit. Good luck!

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.