Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mgrewal

Power BI frequent OLE DB or ODBC errors with ADLS as data source

Ive created a PBIX that reads JSON files stored in Azure Data Lake Store. During my azure trial period, the reports and queries I created worked great. In the last few weeks since my trial ended and I have a pay as you go subscription, I frequently get the following error message in PBI when refreshing my data:

OLE DB or ODBC Error: [DataSource.Error] Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host..

It doesn't happen always. At the time of creating this post, I subsequently re-ran the data refresh and was successful. It doesn't seem to consistent with number of rows returned. A day ago I was able to return over 10 million rows in a report and today I was struggling getting 813k rows to return.

Anyone else have this issue?

5 REPLIES 5
Maggie_Chan
Frequent Visitor

same issue here, any solutions?

jamespusateribp

happening on bp-vsts.visualstudio.com instance...

OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] OData: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host..

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@mgrewal wrote:

Ive created a PBIX that reads JSON files stored in Azure Data Lake Store. During my azure trial period, the reports and queries I created worked great. In the last few weeks since my trial ended and I have a pay as you go subscription, I frequently get the following error message in PBI when refreshing my data:

OLE DB or ODBC Error: [DataSource.Error] Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host..

It doesn't happen always. At the time of creating this post, I subsequently re-ran the data refresh and was successful. It doesn't seem to consistent with number of rows returned. A day ago I was able to return over 10 million rows in a report and today I was struggling getting 813k rows to return.

Anyone else have this issue?

@mgrewal

This error usually means the target servier is running, but the service connected is not available. Is the data lake store locates in the same or closer data center? You can find where your Power BI data is stored by clicking the question mark.

Capture.PNG

For better support, I'd suggest you submit an Azure support ticket or Power BI support ticket.

Hi @Eric_Zhang

I'm running Power BI Desktop and don't see that toolbar with the question mark. The Data Lake is Central US and I'm in Western Canada.

I contacted Azure Support and they recommended I post in this forum.

I had exactly the same problem with my report (3M+ rows). The data source files are in SharePoint. It was working fine until about 12 hours ago, I keep refreshing every hour or so and now it is working again. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.