Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cuongle
Advocate II
Advocate II

Power BI embedded supports data refresh

Does anyone know how Power BI Embedded supports data refresh or schedule for data refresh on "Data Import" mode? I am not using direct query.

The main reason is we are using Power BI service with data refresh scheduling, now power BI embedded comes out with lots of pros: simplify authentication, no Office 365, no Azure AD Sync, connection string can be changed programmatically, cost saving. So we really want to try this.

Plus, is there any limitation on the file size when importing like Power BI Service, 250M per file?

28 REPLIES 28

Currently direct query is all we support in terms of refresh. Cached refresh support is certainly on our backlog as well as pushing data. As one of the previous posts suggests, you could update the file manually and re-upload it as a workaround for now.

When will this must-have feature be released?

Any Progress on progromatic data refresh for embedded now that we have GA?

Has anyone come up with a way to automatically refresh PBI Embedded report/workspace?  Any ETA on possible solution?

I am currently doing it with key-press emulation; works most days but somethimes fails when there is a change

Is there a way to automate the updating of the pbix file?  I can automate the removal and relacement of the published pbix file, but can't find a way to build it automaically.  Can this be done in VBA?

In the meantime what about adding a switch to BPIDesktop.exe so this could be automated?  Something like:

BPIDesktop.exe c:\myreport.pbix -refresh

The 'idea' for cached refresh...

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/13892673-allow-in-place-data-mode...

pritesho
Helper I
Helper I

I have not found anything to refresh or set schedule in API unless you use Direct Query.  Review API once more and try options to be sure.

It is definitely a step in right direction but many features are missing and would soon need to be there for it to become compelling option against competitors.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.