Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

knyazs
Regular Visitor

Power BI - Web Performance and Load Testing using Visual Studio

Hi everyone,

I tried to find instructions from Microsoft on how to properly create Web Performance and Load Testing project using Visual Studio 2013+ to test my new Power BI website but there seems to be nothing on this topic.

What would be the best way to do this? Are there any instructions available?

Thanks,

13 REPLIES 13
Richawilliams

hai, Find performance issues before you release your app by running load tests with with Visual StudioEnterprise using Cloud-based Load Testing to provide virtual machines in the cloud that generate the load of many users accessing your web site at the same time

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Getting-started-with-17a52e95

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi smoupre,

Thank you for your answer.

I probably was not specific enough when posting my initial question. I know about Visual Studio Load Testing and Web Performance project and actually we are currently trying to make it work for PowerBI. Unfortunately, PowerBI has its own specifics and we currently have no idea how to configure tests to use multiple users, how to get duration from user click until page completely loads, how to repeat recorded test (as we get 404 failures), etc.

So, I am after VS Load Testing project configuration manual specifi for PowerBI.

Thanks,

Hi Knyazs,

By any chance, did you find answers for above query? 

Thanks in advance.

regards,

Karthik N

Canarys

Yes, I landed with a solution which waits for "wait" symbol (spinning wheel) sign to disappear and that is my indication that report finished loading.

Hi,

We are also trying to simulate power bi performance using load testing from visual studio and wanted to know what solution that you have arrived at? 

Thanks.

1) Selenium for C# automation tool to simulate slicer clicks and record time to load into database

2) Visual Studio Test Project + Azure to provision X number of virtual machines, copy selenium code onto it and run

A lot of water went under the bridge since I did this and I can't find links I used to provision VMs to run distributed test. If I find those links, I will attach them. Anyhow, for #1 you need to be creative in C# and Selenium; for #2 you need to learn how to use VS Test project and also Power Shell to be able to provision test machines automatically.

I hope you understand this was a project done for a company I work for, thus I can't share code. 

Hi All,

Is Visual Studio able to generate the required load on system.  We are trying to do the same.

However, we are getting stuck, as there is Microsoft 360 login implemented.

Also, scripts are not generating sufficient load on the server and data is getting generated from cache..

It would be great, if you let me know, how was PowerBI implemented for Web performance test.

Hii,

We figured out our issue was due to security tool which was blocking requests made through performance tests. Please verify if this is the case.

Thanks,

Karthik N

Hi Karthik,

Hope you are doing good. I am Prabu who is working as Performance Engineer.

Based on the question posted in this forum, I believe you can help me to give some suggestion for same problem I am having in one of my project.

1. Is this Visual studio able to do record the Power BI - Desktop and do performance tesing?

2. Do we able to capture the respone time metrics for each step?

3. Do we have any limitation in user load?

Project Background:

In my project, they were using both web version and desktop version of Power BI for one of the SAP reporting application and been asked to evaluate the performance for the same.

We have been facing difficulties in generating the events using load runner tool for the desktop version. To go with alternative, i read your commnets for the same and your inputs would be helpful to solve this.

Appreciate your support in advance.

Thanks.

Hi All,

Is Visual Studio able to generate the required load on system.  We are trying to do the same.

Also, scripts are not generating sufficient load on the server and data is getting generated from cache..

It would be great, if you let me know, how was PowerBI implemented for Web performance test.

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for your kind reply Knyazs. We will surely try this out.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors