Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Goofr
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Power BI Table Visual / Source Code

Hello,

I heard that Microsoft open sources all of its visuals on GitHub, but can't seem to find them.

Is this true, where can i find them?

Thanks!

Frank

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Goofr,

Source code of the Power BI visuals aren't public anymore.

You might take a look at the out of dated code here. However, please pay attention to the fact this repository is deprecated.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

View solution in original post

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Goofr,

For some of the custom visuals, you may find the source code at https://github.com/Microsoft?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=PowerBI-visuals&type=&language=

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would also like to have the source code of the table visual from Power BI. I am building a table visual using type script and d3 library but i am not able to implement the functions. Is there are possible way to get the source code. It will be helpful

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Goofr,

For some of the custom visuals, you may find the source code at https://github.com/Microsoft?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=PowerBI-visuals&type=&language=

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Goofr,

Source code of the Power BI visuals aren't public anymore.

You might take a look at the out of dated code here. However, please pay attention to the fact this repository is deprecated.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

vekave
Frequent Visitor

Hello @v-viig,

I need to make very minor tweaks to the native matrix visual. The old source code would serve my purpose. The link you shared seems to be inactive. Could you share an updated link to the old code library?

Thanks,

Aditya 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Link in answer is broken, but can find a fork of it at https://github.com/visualbisolutions/PowerBI-visuals-core

AOE
Regular Visitor

Why aren't they public anymore?  Microsoft seemed to have offered the open source nature of the Power BI visualizations was one of the many advantages of Power BI.  Can we rely upon the continued support of custom visualizations going forward?

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Power BI Core isn't public due to difficulty with supporting that we have faced. This is the main reason why it has been made private.

Power BI Custom Visuals are our current goal for internal and extenral visuals. We're improving our tools and API along with custom visuals.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

azarel
Frequent Visitor

Like one of the other commenters, I have a minor tweak I need on the default Slicer. Literally just needs an option, instead of a point to point range slider, for just a single point slider with a single input so that users can scrub through or directly enter a value from a range of unique numeric values.

So much for Microsoft ♥ Opensource... Revealing their true colours once again. OpenSource isn't just about allowing other coders to make changes and submit pull requests. The OS movement started with the basic belief that users should be able to access the source code of the software they purchased for the purposes of auditing and fixing minor bugs without the intervention of the original provider. A big deal 20 years ago before the internet was fast enough to facilitate rapid software updates, but still an issue for basic stuff like this.

It would be enough for most users, I think, for the GitHub repositories to simply be publishing endpoints at the end of the development process. So long as that was stated clearly on the repositories obviously.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.