Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

teros
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI SSRS w/Forms-enabled Security Extension - I can login and see a report, but can't execute i

I recently downloaded the sample SSRS security extension application Microsoft posted to Github. With a little tweaking, it build and installed just fine. I can now log into my Power BI Report Server via forms authentication, and browse my reports.

Unfortunately, when I try to execute one of them, I never seem to get past the "Power BI" logo and cycling dots in the middle of the screen.

Has anyone had more success with this than me?

2 REPLIES 2
teros
Helper I
Helper I

A little more detail... I just installed the release version of Power BI Report Server and re-did the update to the forms-based custom security extension.

This time, when I point my browser to the report server and click on one of my Power BI reports, it paints a broad outline of the report, with the message "An unexpected error occurred. See details." appearing in place of each of the report visualization elements.

If I click one of the "see details" links, I get something like the following:

An unexpected error occurred. Please try again later. Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Request ID  ee91382a-1dd7-1dbc-765c-2ffe0ff1e7e4
Time  Wed Jun 14 2017 16:09:55 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
Version  14.0.600.286

When I checked the RSPowerBI log file, I found this:

2017-06-14 16:03:58.1199|ERROR|14|Failure in conceptualschema| RequestID = ee91382a-1dd7-1dbc-765c-2ffe0ff1e7e4 ClientSessionID = 958e3893-7730-b290-2072-16f5bdc7271b System.NotSupportedException: PortalIdentity is not supported.
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ExploreHost.UserIdentityConnectionImpersonatorFactory.CreateImpersonator(IIdentity identity)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ExploreHost.RSPowerViewHandler.GetModelInfo(String id)
   at System.Lazy`1.CreateValue()
   at System.Lazy`1.LazyInitValue()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ExploreHost.RSModelCache.GetOrAddModel(ModelKey key, Func`1 modelInfoFunc)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ExploreHost.RSPowerViewHandler.EnsureSession(String modelId)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ExploreHost.ExploreClientHandlerBaseFlow.<RunAsync>b__8_0()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ExploreHost.ExploreClient.<GetClientConceptualSchemaAsync>d__10.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ExploreHost.RSExploreHost.<GetConceptualSchemaAsync>d__4.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebApi.PbiApi.PbiApiController.<GetConceptualSchemaAsync>d__6.MoveNext()
2017-06-14 16:03:58.1199|INFO|13|Sending response. Response code teros 200, Elapsed time 0:00:00.1388324| RequestID = ee91382a-1dd7-1dbc-765c-2ffe0ff1e7e4 ClientSessionID = 958e3893-7730-b290-2072-16f5bdc7271b

What is PortalIdentity, and why isn't it supported?

hi teros, what version of Power BI Report Server (PBIRS) are you using? The GA (June 2017) version released earlier this week supports custom authentication for Power BI reports in PBIRS. The documentation on github has now been updated as well.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.