Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

remeezp
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Rest api and Direct Query

Hi All,

I am currently developing a solution where a client can create their own data model using a custom built frontend.

Once the data model is published to the db, a power bi dataset is created using the api.  Currently I am pushing the data in using the api, but is it possible to link the dataset to the database using direct query through a gateway using the api?

Thanks

Remeez

1 REPLY 1
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@remeezp wrote:

Hi All,

I am currently developing a solution where a client can create their own data model using a custom built frontend.

Once the data model is published to the db, a power bi dataset is created using the api.  Currently I am pushing the data in using the api, but is it possible to link the dataset to the database using direct query through a gateway using the api?

Thanks

Remeez

@remeezp

The answer is No. The datasets created via REST API are tagged as "PUSH" and AFAIK there's no such API that could change the dataset type. So at this moment, you can only push data using API to the datasets created via API. 

Capture.PNG

You can submit your idea at Power BI Ideas and vote it up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.