Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mwade_cte1926
Advocate II
Advocate II

Power BI REST API "Try-It" feature GONE?

Question to the community, is the Try-It feature now gone on Power BI REST API documentation page?

2022-04-08_11-20-33.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @mwade_cte1926 ,

"Try It" feature be disabled on every pages in PBI REST API has been confirmed as an active known issue

RicoZhou_0-1651804154560.png

A temporary alternative solution is to use postman.

Get access token first, then you can call Power BI Rest API in postman by this token.

For reference: Power BI REST API using postman - generate embed token.

I will keep an eye on this case and update if there are new developments.

And  I will mark my reply as the answer for more people to see this message.

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
JeroenS
Employee
Employee

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Cool, but it't not working for me, unfortunately: The pop-up window where you can pick an account from, immediately disappears after it popped up, so no chance to pick an account. 
@v-rzhou-msft , are you able to forward this feedback to the engineers?

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Same here. The Try It button is back, but won't let you sign-in to authenticate.  How does this feedback get back to Microsoft?

Thanks for bringing back this feature.

Kudos to the team.

Thanks,

Rahul

It's back but doesn't work.

pvuppala
Advocate II
Advocate II

FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!

You made my day!!😀

Santanumalik
Frequent Visitor

I do see the try it button enabled now. Can you all try below link? Or go to your specific API.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/reports/update-report-content

Santanumalik_0-1661196370686.png

Aslan-R
Frequent Visitor

If still cofused or facing issue.

Please follow below video to extract token using Powershell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7HLyiAk-lQ (Credits - Adam(#GuyInACube))

Note - if you're using powershell for the first time, U will need to install Powerbi Module by running below command in Powershell as adminstrator.

Install-Module -Name MicrosoftPowerBIMgmt

Cheers!!
Ritesh Singh

pvuppala
Advocate II
Advocate II
mwade_cte1926
Advocate II
Advocate II

mwade_cte1926_0-1650287017838.png

So, maybe it's coming back soon!!

dtheodor
Frequent Visitor

Another apparently unnecessary productivity killer. I was always using this UI for exploratory testing before implementing anything, now I have to go through the hassle of using 3rd tools and obtaining tokens.

LeonDijkers
Frequent Visitor

Same issue here. Hope it gets fixed soon.

CAS-Tom
Frequent Visitor

It disappeared for me too. I was relying on this "Try" feature to fetch my Auth Token so that my script can fetch API records. Does anyone know of an alternate way to fetch this Auth Token??

Hi @mwade_cte1926 ,

I'm so sorry for your bad experience. I have checked the offical documents about Power BI REST API, "Try it" has been indeed removed. As far as I know, "Try it" has been disabled by the Documentation Team. Currently, there is no ETA about this yet. I will keep an eye on this case and update if there are new developments. I will mark my reply as the answer for more people to see this message.

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

That is a shame! Please send any links or reference for this announcement.

There is an open issue-thread here that might be worth voting up as well: Power BI REST API Sandbox is gone ! - Microsoft Power BI Community

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Thanks for the response, even though it's quite a shame.  The "Try It" feature was a very useful feature that I used quite frequently weekly.  Is this something that we can vote to get back?

Hi @mwade_cte1926 ,

"Try It" feature be disabled on every pages in PBI REST API has been confirmed as an active known issue

RicoZhou_0-1651804154560.png

A temporary alternative solution is to use postman.

Get access token first, then you can call Power BI Rest API in postman by this token.

For reference: Power BI REST API using postman - generate embed token.

I will keep an eye on this case and update if there are new developments.

And  I will mark my reply as the answer for more people to see this message.

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

Thanks @v-rzhou-msft , the article works.
For other users reading the article that Rico referenced, please note:
1) You will likely need to create the App registration FOR YOUR ORGANIZATION (i.e. User Owns Data option)

2) Make sure to record the Application Secret which is displayed on your screen after the app is registered

3) When granting permissions in the Azure Portal, be sure to check "Grant Permissions for [Your Organization Name]"

If anyone is having issues, feel free to PM me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors