Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MukeshBhatt
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Licensing Subscription Pricing and data refresh cost.

Hi!

Please, could someone told me and give me information about the prices PowerBI have for license’s user and how they charged the data refresh to upload the data from on-premises and refresh the shared power bi report within company Power BI users.

One more thing I need to mention here, we will use internal application to display the power bi report in longer run. Please suggest.

Is there any proper documentation where I can easily understand the above things?

I have gone through some of Pricing Information in the PowerBI or Microsoft sites but still not clear. It looks to me confusing if end user are not dealing with licensing before.

Somewhere I see $9.99 / user / month for POWER BI PRO. Data Refresh 1M rows/hour.

Somewhere 100 sessions/month FREE and $5/100 sessions Standard Per session for Power BI Embedded.

Somewhere I see Office 365 Enterprise E5 includes Power BI Pro. Is it O365 is require for Power BI?

Price details.pngO365.png

Thanks...

4 REPLIES 4
eyalc
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Hi,

For internal usage within the company there are two options:

• Power BI Pro license, this is the $9.99 per month
  • Office 365 E5

For your question, you don't need O365 to sign up for Power BI Pro

The sessions based model is for Power BI embedded and this is needed if you are using the Azure Power BI embedded solution th(is depends on the specific implementation)

Eyal

Thank you Eyal for the response. @eyalc
Can you please explore it more if I will be going to use Power BI Pro license ($9.99 per month).
Are there any other changes which I need to look into to using Power Bi services?

For example:
Let’s say we have 10 Power BI pro users in the company.
I have created a report and shared with all 10 users and this report running a stored proc which fetch the latest data from on-premises sql database for that month till date (data size approx. 1 gigabyte end of the month).

Query:
1.    Is there any other cost or capping to refresh\load the data from on-premises source, if users access the report frequently to get the latest data (using refresh button) through Power BI login portal?

My understating on the above scenario Please correct me if I am wrong:  
If I made a dataset for the above said report in PBI Desktop , every time when report is refresh, Power bi service loaded\overwrite the whole dataset in the power BI cloud.

2.    Can I use the incremental refresh with Power BI Pro license?
For example : I loaded my last 4 years of data in one time in PBI and update this dataset with incremental data and use the whole 4 years data along with incremental  data in the PBI reports.

@MukeshBhatt

The Pro licence can schedule Hourly refresh, combining my understanding on this article File Size Increase to 1 GB, I may conclude that you can refresh 1GB for each dataset hourly with a Pro license.

When you publish a PBIX file from Desktop, publish an Excel file to Power BI service, or upload an Excel or PBIX file through Get Data in the service, you won’t get a file size limit message unless the file is greater than 1 GB. Additionally, the data will continue to refresh as long as the data model size does not grow beyond 1 GB. After that, refreshing the dataset will give an error message letting you know your dataset is too large, and it will fail to refresh until you filter the data model back down under 1 GB

Regarding incremental refresh, you can vote up this idea Add Incremental Updates to Enterprise Gateway. As a workaround, to do incremental refresh, you can create datesets and add rows via REST API. Do note that you can only add rows to the dataset created via REST API, which means the add rows API doesn't work with a dataset published from Power BI Desktop. 

Hi For Using Power BI Rest API, does our Power BI Pro Subscription is enough? or we need Azure subscription?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors