Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Tairo
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Embeded using direct query and RLS

I created a report and I am using RLS. The report is connected to a Azure SQL database using direct query. When I am testing RLS in the report it all works fine. I am using Power BI embedded to interate the report in my application. 

So I first publish the report to service. But when I publising the report I get a message "Publishing succeeded, but the published report cannot connect to the data source because we were unabaile to find a gateway. Please install and configure a gateway."

The data source is an Azure SQL database, so if I am right I don't have to use a gateway.

In Power BI service I can open the report. When I Don't pass indentities to the embed token API I can upload the report in my application. The moment I add roles and username and to the API the report is not uploaded.

When I use the same setup as described above with the only difference that I am using csv files instead of Azure SQL and direct query everthing works fine. I can pass username and roles to the API and RLS works fine.

Do I do something wrong or is it just not possible to use RLS in Power BI embedded in combiation with direct query?

Kind regards,

Arno

2 REPLIES 2
MWpower
Frequent Visitor

Have you got any answers to this since january?

I can't make it work too..

Hi MWpower,

With the help of MicroSoft I was able to figure out what the problem was. I was passing a fixed dataset id using the API. So PBI only worked using that dataset. I changed the script so that I can, besides Username and Role, also multiple datasets id's. That worked for me.

Regards,

Tairo

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.