Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PaulCr125
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Embedded

I have been able to embed Power BI Report into Web apps without a problem, but have yet to discover how to use it within a c# winforms application. I'm able to get all the relevant info like embed codes, url's etc... How would I use the Javascript API to embed reports into my Winforms c# app?

I appreciate the direction.

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TedPattison
Employee
Employee

You need a browser that understands HTML to embed a Power BI Report or Dashboard. In Winforms you will need a control that allows you to embed a browser within a form. I would stay away from the WebBrowser control that comes with WinForms because it uses IE and introduces a bunch of compatibility issues. I have never tired this approach, but I would start with a better winforms control such as CefSharp or DotNetBrowser which allow you to surface an HTML-based UI using a more modern browser.

Have you tried this approach?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TedPattison
Employee
Employee

You need a browser that understands HTML to embed a Power BI Report or Dashboard. In Winforms you will need a control that allows you to embed a browser within a form. I would stay away from the WebBrowser control that comes with WinForms because it uses IE and introduces a bunch of compatibility issues. I have never tired this approach, but I would start with a better winforms control such as CefSharp or DotNetBrowser which allow you to surface an HTML-based UI using a more modern browser.

Have you tried this approach?

Thanks Ted,

I have tried the built in Web Browser control with little success, I will try an alternative and advise. I just wanted to start my users easily on a desktop app without going the MVC route right off the bat. The java script API does a great job with a reportcontainer

I- frame... Appreciate the speedy response.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors