Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kuldeep_kumar
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Embedded

HI Team,

Power BI embedded gives two ways to embed reports into Custom Web App.

1. For Power BI users (will need only Power BI Pro license for each users).  [assuming this model as PB1 ]
  2. Other with having at least one PowerBI pro and PowerBI premium.  [assuming this model as PB2 ]

• What are the pros and cons using one over the other?
  • Is there any Per report/Visual rendering kind of licensing model in any of the cases?
  • Say Production Deployment is for 100 users.
    • For PB1 => 100 * $9.99/ month = $999/month
    • For PB2 => $5005/month
    • Definitely in this case first option is better. But is there any disadvantage of using PB1, other than the advantage that I might have dedicated resources(in case of PB2) for my workspace.
  • Is any of embedding going to be deprecated in coming future?
  • Does PB2 necessarily require Power BI premium? Because Once I register my Custom Web APP in AAD, I can share URL with anyone in my organization. And then the users can use the app to see embedded reports.
  • How Power BI restricting the webapp to not work without Power BI premium license for Production Deployment in case of PB2?

Thanks

Kuldeep

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Embedded will die according to https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/microsoft-accelerates-modern-bi-adoption-with-power-bi-prem...

The benefit of embedding is that you can handle the users in your application and have not to add them manually to a subscription. Also some other benefits are coming with reserved capacity, if they pay out or not for you depends on your case. Anyway there will be no choice for embedding in the future.

Your case PB2 requires premium.

@Anonymous Thanks for the response.

If I am not wrong Power BI Embedded Azure is going to deprecate , but embedding would continue with Power BI Rest API and Embedded client lib

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes that is correct. The Product of "Power BI embedded" is going to be deprecated. Embedding is from now on supported by the PowerBI Service. The APIs are merged to one API now. They C# part of the API is running as "V2".

So now we have two scenarios.

1) Users owns data (PB1)

2) App owns data (PB2)

So in case of PB2 I still have doubts

• Is there any Per report/Visual rendering kind of licensing model in any of the cases?
  • In case of PB2, what I did is :
    • Registered my webapp in Azure AD
    • Share the URL with all users
    • Users can see embedded reports
    • Where do I require Power BI premium license in this case, cause users are already available to see the reports.

@kuldeep_kumar wrote:

So now we have two scenarios.

1) Users owns data (PB1)

2) App owns data (PB2)

So in case of PB2 I still have doubts

• In case of PB2, what I did is :
    • Registered my webapp in Azure AD
    • Share the URL with all users
    • Users can see embedded reports
    • Where do I require Power BI premium license in this case, cause users are already available to see the reports. 

@kuldeep_kumar

I think it is a license issue, you can develop PB2 with a pro license, however when promoting your solution to production, you need to purchase a premium license. Also, the different premium capacities determin the performance. See this link.

@Eric_Zhang Thanks 

But as per the link given
If you are using a separate tenant for development, then you will need to make sure your app workspaces, along with dashboards and reports, are available in your production environment.

what exactly production environment means. Because for development purpose, I have created custom AAD in my portal account and registered the app.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors