Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PhilippHeider

Power BI Embedded with SharePoint - List as DataSource and Controller

Hello Power BI Community,

recently we got the customer request about embedding Power BI into SharePoint On-Prem/Online to get insights into data maintaned in a SharePoint list. Currently the customer exports the SharePoint list as an Excel and imports it in Power BI Desktop. To simplify this process we want to embed Power BI as an Web Part / IFrame within a SharePoint Site and associate the Power BI Report Data View with the SharePoint List. In addition to that the customer wants to filter the SharePoint list and instantly want to see the udapted changes in the Power BI View. I was wondering if this szenario is feasible? Maybe with passing data over an api (powerbi-client) and the SharePoint Framework SPFx?

I'm new to Power BI so I appricate any help! Thx Folks 🙂

best

Philipp

1 REPLY 1
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@PhilippHeider wrote:

Hello Power BI Community,

recently we got the customer request about embedding Power BI into SharePoint On-Prem/Online to get insights into data maintaned in a SharePoint list. Currently the customer exports the SharePoint list as an Excel and imports it in Power BI Desktop. To simplify this process we want to embed Power BI as an Web Part / IFrame within a SharePoint Site and associate the Power BI Report Data View with the SharePoint List. In addition to that the customer wants to filter the SharePoint list and instantly want to see the udapted changes in the Power BI View. I was wondering if this szenario is feasible? Maybe with passing data over an api (powerbi-client) and the SharePoint Framework SPFx?

I'm new to Power BI so I appricate any help! Thx Folks 🙂

1. Instead of Excel, I think you can get data from the sharepoint directly.("get data"->"share point list").
  2. Not sure how you'd like to apply the filter, maybe a proper "Slicer" visual in the report.
  3. You can embeded the report into Sharepoint via Power BI Rest API, check What can developers do with Power BI?.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.