Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

webportal
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Power BI Embedded pricing

Hello,

Can someone please clarify the pricing of Power BI Embedded?

I see here in the Pricing Calculator, that the minimum cost for a A1 Virtual core is $735.91 per month.

But, simultaneously, here the price is set at $1.0081 per hour.

So, is this a fixed cost or a pay-per-use cost?

Our scenario is simple: we developed an app and want to integrate some Power BI visuals in it and let the users interact from the app with the visuals.

Not much capacity is needed during the development/testing phases, only two developers are working on this project.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @webportal 

Power BI Embedded bills on a predictable hourly rate based on the type of node(s) deployed. You are billed as long as your resource is active, even if there's no usage. You can pause your resource to stop billing and resume when you need to use it. Actual usage is computed to the second and billed hourly. For example, if an instance exists for 12 hours and 15 minutes in a month, your bill will show usage of 12.25 hours. If your instance is only active for 6 minutes, your bill will show usage of 0.1 hour. The $735.91 per month is estimated assuming that you will use this resource continuously without any pause for a month.

And you need at least a Power BI Pro license to publish content into Embedded capacity and manage your tenant and capacity.

See more details you may concern from below links.

Frequently asked questions about Power BI embedded analytics - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Capacity and SKUs in Power BI embedded analytics enabling better embedded BI insights - Power BI | M...

You can also click Chat with Sales in the bottom right corner of Pricing page to get more information about billing.

021503.jpg

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing Zhang
If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
webportal
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@v-jingzhangthat explanation is a LOT more clear than the one in the Azure website!

You should copy/paste that answer into that page.

Is there a way to automatically switch on/off the resources? Ie: switch the capacity off when the resource is idle?

Thanks for your help!

@webportal Thank you😄

You can use Azure PowerShell or REST APIs to pause/resume an instance of PowerBI Embedded Capacity automatically.

Suspend-AzureRmPowerBIEmbeddedCapacity

Resume-AzureRmPowerBIEmbeddedCapacity

Capacities - Suspend

Capacities - Resume

Other references that may help:

Developing with Power BI Embedding (Part 2)

Pause and start your Power BI Embedded capacity in the Azure portal

Regards,
Jing
If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @webportal 

Power BI Embedded bills on a predictable hourly rate based on the type of node(s) deployed. You are billed as long as your resource is active, even if there's no usage. You can pause your resource to stop billing and resume when you need to use it. Actual usage is computed to the second and billed hourly. For example, if an instance exists for 12 hours and 15 minutes in a month, your bill will show usage of 12.25 hours. If your instance is only active for 6 minutes, your bill will show usage of 0.1 hour. The $735.91 per month is estimated assuming that you will use this resource continuously without any pause for a month.

And you need at least a Power BI Pro license to publish content into Embedded capacity and manage your tenant and capacity.

See more details you may concern from below links.

Frequently asked questions about Power BI embedded analytics - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Capacity and SKUs in Power BI embedded analytics enabling better embedded BI insights - Power BI | M...

You can also click Chat with Sales in the bottom right corner of Pricing page to get more information about billing.

021503.jpg

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing Zhang

webportal
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I did further research about this issue, since I'm confused about Power BI Embedded pricing. As I can see, many users like me have no idea how much they're going to pay until the end of the month.

Anyway, the Power BI Tools for capacities seems to offer an interestig tool to simulate teh resource consumption of a report.

I've followed the instructions meticulously to try this tool.
Loaded "Power Bi Load Testing Demo.pbix" to a workspace and configured all the details of "PBIReport.JSON" with my url.
When opening the HTML, the report loads on the page, but I get the error in Chrome Dev Tools:

Failed to load resource: net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

RealisticLoadTest.html:250 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'models' of undefined
at EmbedReport (RealisticLoadTest.html:250)
at RealisticLoadTest.html:485

Also tried running several times: .\Update_Token_Only.ps1 in PowerShell but the result is the same.

If anyone has any info about this, I'd appreciate some feedback.

Thanks in advance!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors