Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

soldous
Advocate II
Advocate II

Power BI Embedded in the Organisation

Hi there,

I have read the documentation about Power BI Embedded and I'm still very confused.

Our mobile development team would like to integrate Power BI reports/dashboards into a React app for the organization. Our environment is:

• on-premise data sources 
  • Power BI Premium capacity owned
  • Power BI Pro licences for developers of reports
  • Power BI Free for end consumers in Power BI Premium capacity
  • Workspaces in Premium capacity and in Power BI Services
  • Datasets refreshed through Power BI Gateways

Now what I'm confused of...do our dev team need Power BI Embedded product on Azure? If so, there is dedicated storage in the resource so they won't be able to connect on data published in our Power BI Service / Premium capacity? 

I would very appreciate if someone could explain to me how to implement Power BI Embedded into the Organisation more understandable then official documentation.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,

Zdenek

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jayendran
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @soldous ,

Let me try to explain my best 🤞

PowerBI Embedded Solution is working based on the model of generating Embedded Token. Each time a user / viewer opens your Embedded report (behind the scene a embedded token will be generated, which will passed into the PowerBI Javascript UI)

Now there is some limitation of generating a embedded tokens, if your workspace don't have any premium capacity then you can generate a limited number of embedded tokens. So you need a embedded/premium capacity.

Ok, now there are lots of option to choose the capacity. How to choose those capacity 🤔

There are mainly 2 different types of Capacity

1. Azure Capacity ASK
  2. Premium Capacity (EMSKU/PSKU) 

Azure Capacity ASKU ( A1-A6) : 

Power BI Embedded capacities (ASKU) are particularly attractive to ISVs because they provide the following features that are not matched by Power BI Premium capacities.

• You can automate provisioning Power BI Embedded capacities using PowerShell scripts and Azure templates.
  • Power BI Embedded capacities do not require a monthly commitment; instead you pay by the hour
  • You can pause and resume a Power BI Embedded capacity at any time to save money
  • You can scale a Power BI Embedded capacity up or down in a matter of minutes

Premium Capacity (EMSKU/PSKU)

Power BI Premium is a tenant-level Office 365 subscription available in two SKU (Stock-Keeping Unit) families:

• EM SKUs (EM1-EM3) for embedding, requiring a yearly commitment, billed monthly. EM1 and EM2 SKUs are available only through volume licensing plans. You can't purchase them directly.
  • P SKUs (P1-P3) for embedding and enterprise features, requiring a monthly or yearly commitment, billed monthly, and includes a license to install Power BI Report Server on-premises.

Coming back to your question

Now what I'm confused of...do our dev team need Power BI Embedded product on Azure? 

It depends on your requirement based on the above information you can either go for Azure Embedded Capacity or Premium Capacity 

If so, there is dedicated storage in the resource so they won't be able to connect on data published in our Power BI Service / Premium capacity? 

Capacities like EM1, EM2, A1, and A2 SKUs with less than four v-cores do not run on dedicated infrastructure. Here dedicated infrastructure meaning your workspace will be put into a dedicated location , memory and cores, there will no issue for data access here.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Jayendran
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @soldous ,

Let me try to explain my best 🤞

PowerBI Embedded Solution is working based on the model of generating Embedded Token. Each time a user / viewer opens your Embedded report (behind the scene a embedded token will be generated, which will passed into the PowerBI Javascript UI)

Now there is some limitation of generating a embedded tokens, if your workspace don't have any premium capacity then you can generate a limited number of embedded tokens. So you need a embedded/premium capacity.

Ok, now there are lots of option to choose the capacity. How to choose those capacity 🤔

There are mainly 2 different types of Capacity

1. Azure Capacity ASK
  2. Premium Capacity (EMSKU/PSKU) 

Azure Capacity ASKU ( A1-A6) : 

Power BI Embedded capacities (ASKU) are particularly attractive to ISVs because they provide the following features that are not matched by Power BI Premium capacities.

• You can automate provisioning Power BI Embedded capacities using PowerShell scripts and Azure templates.
  • Power BI Embedded capacities do not require a monthly commitment; instead you pay by the hour
  • You can pause and resume a Power BI Embedded capacity at any time to save money
  • You can scale a Power BI Embedded capacity up or down in a matter of minutes

Premium Capacity (EMSKU/PSKU)

Power BI Premium is a tenant-level Office 365 subscription available in two SKU (Stock-Keeping Unit) families:

• EM SKUs (EM1-EM3) for embedding, requiring a yearly commitment, billed monthly. EM1 and EM2 SKUs are available only through volume licensing plans. You can't purchase them directly.
  • P SKUs (P1-P3) for embedding and enterprise features, requiring a monthly or yearly commitment, billed monthly, and includes a license to install Power BI Report Server on-premises.

Coming back to your question

Now what I'm confused of...do our dev team need Power BI Embedded product on Azure? 

It depends on your requirement based on the above information you can either go for Azure Embedded Capacity or Premium Capacity 

If so, there is dedicated storage in the resource so they won't be able to connect on data published in our Power BI Service / Premium capacity? 

Capacities like EM1, EM2, A1, and A2 SKUs with less than four v-cores do not run on dedicated infrastructure. Here dedicated infrastructure meaning your workspace will be put into a dedicated location , memory and cores, there will no issue for data access here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jayendran wrote:

Hi @Jayendran ,
I was wondering if you have more details about the limitation of generating embedded tokens?
If I buy an Azure Capacity ASKU (Power BI Embedded capacities) what are the limitations that I will have if I don't have a Premium subscription (only a Pro subscription) ? 
Thanks

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please see the official doc explanation

Embed tokens with PRO license are intended for development testing, so a Power BI master account or service principal can only generate a limited number of tokens. Purchase a capacity for embedding in a production environment. There's no limit to how many embed tokens you can generate when you purchase a capacity. Go to Available Features to check the usage value that indicates the current embedded usage in percentage.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.