Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Embedded from Dev to Prod; Pro vs. Premium?

Hi,

I am currently working on a project where we have developed a PBI Embedded solution, embedding reports in our web app. For this, we have so far only used our organizational Pro-licenses and it has worked fine. We have also tested with made-up third-party "users" without any PBI licenses at all. This has also worked fine.

Since this has been sort of a Proof-of-concept, we decided not to purchase the PBI Premium license, but as you can see we have been able to develop a solution and test it even so. 

My question now is, since we plan on going in to production for this solution, what is the limit until we actually NEED the Premium-license? As of now we have not met a single limitation with the "new" embedded using only Pro-licenses.

Regards,

Linus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

I am currently working on a project where we have developed a PBI Embedded solution, embedding reports in our web app. For this, we have so far only used our organizational Pro-licenses and it has worked fine. We have also tested with made-up third-party "users" without any PBI licenses at all. This has also worked fine.

Since this has been sort of a Proof-of-concept, we decided not to purchase the PBI Premium license, but as you can see we have been able to develop a solution and test it even so. 

My question now is, since we plan on going in to production for this solution, what is the limit until we actually NEED the Premium-license? As of now we have not met a single limitation with the "new" embedded using only Pro-licenses.

Regards,

Linus

@Anonymous

I used to consult the product team about this and got the reponse that the Pro license permit to create embedded report for development purpose, as to the premium license, at this moment, there's no throttle. So temporarily, it looks that a premium license is not required for the App owns data scenario. However I'm not sure when there will be a thorttle set. I'm consulting the product team for further clarification and will post back if there comes any update.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

Regards,

Linus

@Anonymous

I used to consult the product team about this and got the reponse that the Pro license permit to create embedded report for development purpose, as to the premium license, at this moment, there's no throttle. So temporarily, it looks that a premium license is not required for the App owns data scenario. However I'm not sure when there will be a thorttle set. I'm consulting the product team for further clarification and will post back if there comes any update.

Hi, 

Is there any further clarification on this? 

Currently, we are using Pro license for embedding as well and would like to know the limitations of this and when we need to purchase premium. We are also interested in how we can go about testing the capacity limits of premium using the pro license? 

Also, starting this month there seems to be Azure based Power BI Embedded capacity (A1, A2, etc), how can we test these servers with the pro license? We tried setting up the A1 capacity but seems like it being online or offline does not influence the test reports. 

Thanks in advance for any clarifications. 

Thanks

Kuna

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.