Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

npnigro
Advocate III
Advocate III

Power BI Embedded for WordPress now available!

I wanted to make you aware of a plugin that Atlas Public Policy (www.atlaspolicy.com) has created to makes it easy to integrate Power BI Embedded with your WordPress website.

Atlas uses Power BI in most of our projects to make data more accessible to professionals in public policy. Often, our work includes building public-facing websites with WordPress and embedding Power BI reports using "publish to web." 

Recently, we wanted to expand our offerings and take advantage of Power BI Embedded. We figured we weren't the only ones and in the spirit of open source development, we created a plugin to connect Power BI Embedded and WordPress. For the first release, we included functionality to embed dashboards, reports, report visuals, Q&A, and tiles.

This plugin uses the Power BI REST API to access various types of content and easily embed them on a WordPress site using a shortcode. The plugin follows the "app owns data" process as documented by Microsoft here

The plugin relies on Microsoft's JavaScript library for embedding Power BI available on Github here: https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-JavaScript.

You can download the Power BI Embedded for WordPress plugin on GitHub here: https://github.com/atlaspolicy/power-bi-embedded.

More documentation on the plugin is available in the README on GitHub. 

We would really value the contribution of others on this project to expand the plugin's capabilities and increase its usefullness to the Power BI community.

19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

There is a way to config Power Bi Embedded for Wordpress module to work with a Custom Power Bi server Report?

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Assuming I'm understanding your question right, no, the Power BI site's url is hardcoded in several places, so it will only work with reports hosted on PowerBI.com.

Howerver, the plugin's code is public, so there's no reason you couldn't fork it and upload the plugin directly to your site.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, thank you so much for this fantastic plugin. As a colleague below mentioned, how can we use RLS with this plugin? I need to restrict the content by user, it is an intranet portal.

Hi Payal, Thanks for this.

Does this also have a premium version of it?

adeelnazir786
Helper I
Helper I

How can i apply RLS on Wordpress Embedded Report?

adeelnazir786
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @npnigro 

Great news for me. I'm able to connect Power BI Reports with Wordpress by following all steps

Now i want to see RLS i.e. applied on my reports. Over wordpress plugin setting i couldnt see any option to add body like we did in REST API on Power BI Embedded Playground (Below Json example).

In short: How can i apply RLS, instructions are not clear to me.

Body:
		{
		  "accessLevel": "View",
		  "allowSaveAs": "false",
		  "identities": [
			{
			  "username": "treet@discardmail.com",
			  "roles": [
				"UserRole"
			  ],
			  "datasets": [
				"bf6bea64-e582-4848-aaa6-ef34ccbc8e34"
			  ]
			}
		  ]
		}

Please help. 

Thanks & Regards,
Adeel

Thank Payal.

What more can be done with this plugin? Im looking at this for an enterprise application.

Holguinmora
Helper I
Helper I

Hi

Do you have a case or a way that works with Power Bi embed play ground - https://microsoft.github.io/PowerBI-JavaScript/demo/v2-demo/?showcase=CustomLayout#?

Regards

No, sorry. The source code for the plugin is available on GitHub and WordPress. 

Holguinmora
Helper I
Helper I

Npnigro hi

Do you have a web page where I can see examples on how the plug in works?

Or you have a step by step on how to embed one of the examples post in this git hub created by Microsoft?
 https://microsoft.github.io/PowerBI-JavaScript/demo/v2-demo/index.html

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for this article.

I managed to embedded the report into the WordPress site successfully as an iframe.

I set the width and height to 100% of the Power BI report.  However, I find there is some kind of constrain zooming into the report.  I can't seem to zoom in and out of the report smoothly.

Does anyone has this experience?  If so what did you do to resolve this limitations.

DennisJung
Helper I
Helper I

Is it possible to explain the plugin a little bit more?

Because it doesnt work for me 🙂

Can you explain the error you're seeing? I tested on a fresh website before I published the plugin. 

It just doesn't work, when i insert the code to a page, it stays blank.

bi.pngbi1.pngbi2.pngbi3.png

It doesn't look like the authentication worked for you. You should see something like this:

ApplicationFrameHost_2018-03-01_11-00-32.png

So i tried it on our live system, but i'm only getting an error message.

AADSTS65001: The user or administrator has not consented to use the application with ID '806d5478-1ee3-446a-be0e-efda48c185e4' named 'Lager'. Send an interactive authorization request for this user and resource. Trace ID: 7ef40be7-bbb2-4e8e-96ea-de91d4870800 Correlation ID: 7d8f45d3-17af-4f3f-9dc4-a297588e7a90 Timestamp: 2018-03-02 11:57:01Z

Steps i've done:

- Registered an application on https://dev.powerbi.com/apps with the basic url of our homepage

-  enter our admin account and the ID + Secret in the plug in

Sorry for the trouble. It looks like you didn't do all the steps needed to register an app. See here for more information -- you have to do some work on Azure too. I recommend making another post with further questions about setting up your app. The WordPress plugin is not built to troubleshoot the setup of an app. 

chethan
Resolver III
Resolver III

1.PNG

Am getting error Please help

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @npnigro,

Thanks for the sharing! Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.