Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shds
Advocate I
Advocate I

Power BI Embedded connected to local SQL Server instead of SQL Database Azure?

Hi there,

I am looking into ways to most efficiently provide our customer data to those customers and we are focusing on PowerBI. However, it would be too much of a hassle to have our customers sign up for a PowerBI.com account so they can see reports in the cloud.

The next option would be to make use of Power BI Embedded, but from what I am reading in the documentation it seems that the only way to connect your report to a (live) database would be via a populated SQL Database on Azure. Is it possible to use Power BI Embedded in combination with our local SQL Server, just like we are now using the On-premises Data Gateway?

And if not, what other ways would there be to use PowerBI to present our customers with their own data in interactive charts/reports?

6 REPLIES 6
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@shds

So far, there's no gateway or refresh feature in Power BI Embedded, you can vote this idea up.

As a workaround using Power BI, you can either choose

1. re-fresh and re-import the pbix 
  2. Load the data from on-premises SQL Server to Azure SQL database via a regular ETL process, import a pbix in DirectQuery mode then.

Hi ,thanks for your suggestion, have upvoted the idea!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If you do not need RLS then you could use the "Publish to Web" option, not the most secure, but simple.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

hi smoupre, thanks for your prompt response. 

We do require authentication so Publish to Web wouldn't work unfortunately.

You do have the option of using something like Pyramid Analytics Server to publish your Desktop reports to locally. Similar functionality is on the roadmap for SQL Server Reporting Services.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

We looked into Pyramid Analytics, but that's not a great match in terms of added functionality and price. Do you have some more information about the SSRS option? This sounds like something we could use.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.