Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

briannoyes
Regular Visitor

Power BI Embedded and data latency/refresh

We want to use Power BI Embedded to build out an interactive dashboard in a web app (Angular 7 front end), which sounds like the sweet spot for Power BI. But from what I can tell from the docs, the limitations of data refresh and data latency could be a show stopper for us. I know there is the ability to stream real time data to Power BI. But our scenarios is the following:

- User enters data in a table in the application

- Data gets saved to back end via APIs

- We want the charts in the embedded Power BI dashboard or report to update immediately with the newly changed data

So I'm not sure what combination of features we would need to use for this. I know that data refresh has limitations because the Power BI service pulls the data and caches it and can only do that so often (15 min minimum?). We could expose an API to have Power BI pull the data, or we could push the data to it in the form of an event stream if that is the only way to get the real time update of the dashboard/report (and I know there are differences between those two in terms of the options as well, but am not clear on which we should use for our scenario). I also know a custom data connector might be a solution, but haven't found clear information on what limitations on latency we might run into there.

So if anyone can provide me some pointers on what the right path would be to achieve this real time refresh of charts based data being edited within the app, or if it is not possible, would really appreciate it. Any pointers to documentation or articles that show something along these lines would also be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
AnnibalHAbreu

Hi,

You have to push data into your dataset.

We use MySQL and we have not found any other way to make it works as a real time solution

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/walkthrough-push-data

Hi @briannoyes  did you ever look at this further? It sounds similar to a scenario that I am having currently.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.