Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jhonatas
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Embedded and Direct Query

Recently i posted a new topic here asking how to update a report(dataset) through power bi api. For testing purposes everything works good,

Our problem now is, we cannot for every report open pbix > click update > save. and then upload a new pbix file .

This kind of update needs to be automatic.

I read across the forum that using Direct Query this type of refresh works fine(with Azure DB). My question is, this refresh works for data only on azure or using a gateway i can refresh a dataset where the data is on my servers?

If this works with gateway and on-premise data, how to make this work with Power BI API?

9 REPLIES 9
Sunkari
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

This doesn't not work with gateway

Hi Sunkari, thanks for your answer.

So, the only way to make my report refresh data (beside reuploading a pbix) is using an Azure DB & D.Query? ....

@jhonatas,

With Power BI Embedded, you can use DirectQuery with cloud data sources but not on-premises data sources at this time. See FAQ at https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/power-bi-embedded-faq/#what-data-sources-ar....

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Is this still a limitation?

Hello,

I'm exposing SQL Server Database on the internet, so it can be accessed anywhere from its DNS + port (xxx.contoso.com, 1433).

Is there a way to use Power BI Embedded and Direct Query in this scenario? In this case, I believe that the On Premises Gateway is not needed. Can anyone assist me, please?

Hi,

Does anyone have an answer to rsfurlan90's question? I'm also facing the same issue here.

Is there a way to use Power BI Embedded in Direct Query mode, and with datasource come directly from MS SQL Database installed on Azure Virtual Machine?

Some articles seem to show that Power BI Embedded in Direct Query mode, can only work with:

+ Azure SQL Database

+ Azure SQL Database Warehouse

But some articles seem to suggest there is a way to work around it?

And just wondering whether on premises Gateway is only working with Power BI (not Power BI Embedded)?

Any hints will be appreciated.

Thanks.

I am still waiting.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rsfurlan90  I'm facing the same issue. Do you have any news ?

Hi,

Does anyone have an answer to rsfurlan90's question? I'm also facing the same issue here.

Is there a way to use Power BI Embedded in Direct Query mode, and with datasource come directly from MS SQL Database installed on Azure Virtual Machine?

Some articles seem to show that Power BI Embedded in Direct Query mode, can only work with

+ Azure SQL Database

+ Azure SQL Database Warehouse

But some articles seem to suggest there is a way to work around it?

And just wondering is on premises Gateway only working with Power BI (not Power BI Embedded)?

Any hints will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.