cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Power BI Embedded Pricing - Am i mistaken?

This really angers me and makes me want to avoid ms all-together.

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Yes, it can be challenging.

BTW, it appears as though the OP is no longer active on this forum:
PaulAllen2412
Date Last Visited
‎11-08-2017 03:03 AM

Highlighted

Unfortunately the decision by MSFT to massively increase the price saw us have to go in a different direction.

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Mind sharing what direction your team went with?  We are looking at alternatives as well and would greatly appreciate your feedback.  Some of the ones we are considering are below.

Alteryx
Domo
Dundas
H20.ai
Looker
MicroStrategy
Pentaho
Qlik
Sisense
Tableau
TIBCO

Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

We walked away from Microstrategy as it was "WAY, WAY more" to get any kind of horsepower and even with their own cubing mechanism which takes forever to build a cube.  My experience was it was built from the ground up, but slow to evolve (very slow) and a lot of the good people we worked with there jumped ship.  They were heading in a terrible direction.  I would consider Tableau or Qlik before the others...but Tableau will be as much or more than Power BI.

I haven't seen pricing lately with Qlik, but I bet it's close to the same.

Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

If you are embedding only in another application, you can use an A SKU, but anyone internal using it, needs a pro license.  We are using this model for our customers and we are a fortune 200 company last time I checked.  P SKU is 5K a month.

I would say in the ISV model your option is A sku for ~$750 a month that gives you 3 GB RAM is all.  We had to go to A3 to get any kind of performance $3K/mo, not to mention if you use cubes, and use AAS, we had to rack that up to an S3 otherwise we ran out of memory processing cubes.  And the cubes are not big.  GB's, but less than 10.  You can pause A SKU's and you can do this through Azure portal yourself anytime.  P sku's you have to be a global admin to do it and it's a yearly committment which A SKU is pay as you go.

Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

Called Bait and switch if you ask me or generate interest then jack it up so people are hooked.

Highlighted

We ended up using Power BI internally (there are only 2 of us) and unfortunately our customers ended up suffering. We've just gone with very basic export to Excel for now until we can find something reasonable to offer.

With regards the SKU for $750, that's over $1k AUD per month. To put that into context, our business currently has a revenue of around $4k AUD per month. Spending 1/4 of our revenue on a reporting solution is totally incomprehensible from a business perspective. 

Helpful resources

Announcements

August Community Highlights

Check out a full recap of the month!

August 2020 CYST Challenge

Check out the winners of the recent 'Can You Solve These?' community challenge!

Experience what’s next for Power BI

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power BI features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.