Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dibaSFP
Advocate I
Advocate I

Power BI Embedded: Exporting to PDF/PPTX/PNG very slow

Hi everyone,

exporting from Power BI service works fine. Exporting to PDF/PPTX/PNG from Power BI Embedded using the available API is awfully slow. A (very) simple report requires about 45 seconds. Anything more complex requires way more time (beyond several minutes).

Is there a way we can request more CPU/ressources for Power BI Embedded exports?

Regards,

DibaSFP

4 REPLIES 4
xxie
Frequent Visitor

@dibaSFP  Excuse me, did you get this issue solved. I got the same slow REST API issue and no clue to solve.

MattCalderwood
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

HI @dibaSFP 

If you are using the Export-To API https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/reports/exporttofileingroup then there are some limitations on this whilst the API is in preview.

Looking at the docs on this functionality, ac couple of things stand out: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded/export-to

Concurrent Requests:
"A job that exceeds its number of concurrent requests doesn't terminate. For example, if you export three pages in an A1 SKU, the first job will run, and the latter two will wait for the next two execution cycles."

Note that concurrency also applies to pages within a report. So a single report containing 20 report pages/tabs will not complete until each one is rendered individually. How fast this is will depend on the capacity size.

Embedded Capacities:
You need to have the reports hosted within a workspace that is running within an embedded capacity.
The larger the capacity... the more reports you can run concurrently, plus (in theory) your reports should render faster due to the increased CPU and memory.

It could be the case that whilst this feature is in preview, it is running slower than it otherwise would normally?
It's worth testing it with a larger capacity to see if this makes any difference.

Hope this helps.

Hi Matt,

thanks for the information.

>It could be the case that whilst this feature is in preview, it is running slower than it otherwise would normally?

I hope so.

I have seen the limitations, but being at P2 (would be A5 in Azure) I expected a way higher performance - especially, if you are the only user exporting a report.

Just as a reference the announcement from 03/2020 on the availability of the feature:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/de-de/blog/export-report-to-pdf-pptx-and-png-files-using-power-bi-rest...

Maybe it gets better over time (or we have to ask support to forward this feedback to the PBI Embedded Product Manager ;-)).

Thank you!

Björn

Yikes! an A5 capacity but still running that slow.... that doesn't sound right.

Think it might be time to raise a support call to see if MS can identify what is happening.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors