Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

satishr
Helper III
Helper III

Power BI Custom Visual API version

Hi All,

I have few questions regarding the version of custom visual API. If someone can answer them it will help me a lot.

1. What is the latest version of Power BI Custom Visual API?

2. When I create a new project using "pbiviz new" command, API version 1.10 is used.  Is 1.10 the latest version? If not why doesn't this command create the project with the latest version of the API?

3. I have created few simple visuals in the API version 1.10. Will this work on Power BI Report Server? or do I have to upgrade or downgrade to any other version to make it work?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @satishr,

Please find the answers below:

1. The latest version 1.11.0.
  2. The "pbiviz new" creates a new custom visual using the latest API that is installed on your PC. That means you should update pbiviz by executing this command: npm -g install powerbi-visuals-tools@latest
  3. Power BI Desktop October 2017 optimised for Power BI Report Server supports API 1.8.0.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

View solution in original post

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Yes, that's correct. You must downgrade the API version to support PBI Report Server.

Power BI Report Server uses the special version of Power BI Desktop October 2017

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @satishr,

Please find the answers below:

1. The latest version 1.11.0.
  2. The "pbiviz new" creates a new custom visual using the latest API that is installed on your PC. That means you should update pbiviz by executing this command: npm -g install powerbi-visuals-tools@latest
  3. Power BI Desktop October 2017 optimised for Power BI Report Server supports API 1.8.0.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Thanks for the reply @v-viig. So, this means I have to downgrade the version of my custom visuals to version 1.8 or lower for it to work on the report server. Where can I get Power BI Desktop October 2017 version? Is this the latest version of Power BI desktop?

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Yes, that's correct. You must downgrade the API version to support PBI Report Server.

Power BI Report Server uses the special version of Power BI Desktop October 2017

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

What is the API version suppored by PBI Report Server march 2018 release?

Power BI Desktop March for RS supports API 1.11.0 and less.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Thank you Ignat for the previous two answers. What API version is needed for Power BI Desktop August for RS?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have this same question. 

"Thank you Ignat for the previous two answers. What API version is needed for Power BI Desktop August for RS?"

But more importantly, how do we find out what the answer is on our own? Why am I asking?  Because if I knew the August release didn't support version 2.1.1 I wouldn't have wasted my time or the time of others by creating this post:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/Debug-Assert-Failed-The-API-Version-2-1-0-is-Invalid/m-p/...

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

API 1.11.0 should work fine in August version.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.