Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Application Credentials: Without Effective Identity

We're swtiching our app to client_credentials from the master account setup.  We do a lot of consulting with small medium businesses that most don't have RLS requirements.  We create a workspace for that client and all report and dashboard objects are general reports for users of our system.  (We do have some clients who have very intensive RLS needs, and we absoultely do use it, but it's an optional configuration based on that clients needs.)

So we take our app in password mode, which works... And setup for client_credentials:  Get the ApplicationID, setup the client secret, create the AzureAD group... add the ApplicationID into the group, Add the group to PowerBI, and then add the Application to the workspace.  

Thinking that should work...  It doesn't.  Now the reports are requiring EffectiveIdentity?  I didn't change that.  Why is this happening?

"{\"error\":{\"code\":\"InvalidRequest\",\"message\":\"Creating embed token for 
accessing dataset xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx requires effective identity to be provided\"}}"

But sure, ok... I'll set it up...  So I add an effectiveIdentity and then slap my email in as a test (it'll be easy to pull this from the logged in user, so whatever... Sure.  Now I get this:

"{\"error\":{\"code\":\"InvalidRequest\",\"message\":\"Creating embed token for 
accessing dataset xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx requires roles to be included in provided effective identity\"}}"

Again, most of our reports don't have roles, they are general reports that anyone with access to the system has access to all of the data.  Some reports have a requirement, some don't.  

How do I adjust this?  I need to not require effective identity on some, but on others... 

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

And PBI folks at Microsoft:  If this is the 'new way' just let me know.  I changed our app and now faced with unexpected roadblocks that came out of nowhere. 

Is this a requirement when using client_credentials?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm also facing the same issue. I've raised a support ticket with MSFT. Let's see what they have to say.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I pulled a test api call of the dataset and it does have effective identity set to required.  My guess?  I'm going to guess that when using a master account, that is applying itself as the effective identity... But moving over to client_credentials no longer puts under the umbrella of a user-user, so this must be defined. 

Once setup with RLS, I don't have any issues at all, works perfect.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.