Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Admin API with MFA

Hello,

I need to access Power BI Amin REST API from c# Azure function for getting PBI audit logs. But there are two issues:

• my AAD acc with Power BI Administrator right has multi-factor authentication enforced
  • authorization only with service principle has no access to the Admin part of REST API

Is there any way how I can get a token from login.microsoftonline.com with my Acc with MFA?

Thank you very much.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Re: Power BI Admin API with MFA

Hi @soldous ,

I think there is currently no way to solve your problem. You have to disable to MFA to use your credentials for azure functions.

The other workarond for you is, Instead of using your AAD account, you can create a service account with MFA disabled then assign the service account as the PowerBI admin. Then using the service account you can do your business logics in azure functions.

The actual solution we have to wait till powerbi enabled the SPN autentication for PowerBI Admin API's.

Did my reply helpful to you ? Please give Kudos

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Disable the MFA on Azure Portal.

Azure Active Directory -> Properties -> Manage Security Defaults Link and Disable

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

It would be nice if the world was so easy. 

I'm not an AAD administrator and MFA is a company policy.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @Jayendran 

I was afraid of this answer. I can't use a service acc because it's impossible to give admin rights to service acc in our company. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Upcoming Events

Upcoming Events

Wondering what events you could join or have an event to promote yourself? Check out our Upcoming Events.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

We are thrilled to announce we will begin running a monthly webinar series named Power BI Dev Camp.