Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

soldous
Advocate II
Advocate II

Power BI Admin API with MFA

Hello,

I need to access Power BI Amin REST API from c# Azure function for getting PBI audit logs. But there are two issues:

• my AAD acc with Power BI Administrator right has multi-factor authentication enforced
  • authorization only with service principle has no access to the Admin part of REST API

Is there any way how I can get a token from login.microsoftonline.com with my Acc with MFA?

Thank you very much.

5 REPLIES 5
mflores

Good morning, I am having the same  issue witg MFA when I want to see a Power Bi Dahboard from an aplication web. If I have disable MFA I can see the dashboard without problems, but If I enable again MFA I have again the issue.

I read that : "The actual solution we have to wait till powerbi enabled the SPN autentication for PowerBI Admin API's."

Is already there Any solution?

Thank you.

marcio_fornari
Resolver I
Resolver I

Disable the MFA on Azure Portal.

Azure Active Directory -> Properties -> Manage Security Defaults Link and Disable

It would be nice if the world was so easy. 

I'm not an AAD administrator and MFA is a company policy.

Jayendran
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @soldous ,

I think there is currently no way to solve your problem. You have to disable to MFA to use your credentials for azure functions.

The other workarond for you is, Instead of using your AAD account, you can create a service account with MFA disabled then assign the service account as the PowerBI admin. Then using the service account you can do your business logics in azure functions.

The actual solution we have to wait till powerbi enabled the SPN autentication for PowerBI Admin API's.

Hi @Jayendran 

I was afraid of this answer. I can't use a service acc because it's impossible to give admin rights to service acc in our company. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.