Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI APP Section access configuration

Hello guys!

It's me again~

I do have a question about APPS in Power Bi.

I'm posting an app and I do have different dashboards of distinct areas of the company there. It's possible to manage the access at Section level in order to control who available to see the section dashboard or do I have to create different apps per area?power bi app.PNG

1 REPLY 1
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

For the moment, you'll need to manage access to assets such as dashboards and reports through individual apps, as security will only allow you control who can see the application, and not items within it. It's pretty much all-or-nothing right now.

If many apps rely on the same dataset, or there are many common ones, then they could be published in a dedicated workspace and referenced by others. That way, your dependent reports and dashboards can be put into an associated app and still update centrally without duplicating your data and/or measure logic (or even row-level security). This is how I currently manage departmental-level access, and that way if there are preferences around report layout and app navigation, then this can be tailored accordingly without having inconsistencies in the data they get presented with.

Hopefully this might help you to think about how this might work for you as a solution.

Good luck!

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.