Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI API – pulling data out from a visual to my web app

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is possible yet, so I thought I would put it to the collective brilliance of the community. I am in the process of creating a webpage with a dashboard embedded on it. I would like to be able to pull information out from one of the visualizations (e.g. a table) and pass it back to the webpage.

For example, if I have a report showing customer support cases, and I start filtering on date opened, Account, Severity, etc., eventually I will identify a subset of cases that I want to act upon further. Does the API allow me to pull out information from the table (e.g. Case ID) and pass it back to my webpage where I can then pull any additional details or take whatever action I need to outside of Power BI? 

Thanks,

Scott

3 REPLIES 3
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

AFAIK, it is impossible.

I think Power BI is for representation purpose only. Anyway you could submit an idea on Power BI Ideas and vote it up, though I doubt that MS would implement that feature as it is quite beyond the purpose based on my understanding.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, @Eric_Zhang - though to say driving actions out of Power BI is beyond the scope is... worrying. I would say that engendering actionability from Power BI is precisly why it it needed. From ML to R to the full extensibility of the overall Microsoft Analytics platform, if it is not all driving to allow organizations to actually USE the data to drive next best actions, I would say that I, and a host of others, have misunderstood Microsoft's relative strength in the market. 

@Anonymous

I'd say that "beyond the purpose" is my personal understanding.

Actually the Power BI API has provided the features of creating a dataset and pushing data, maybe reading  the data is on the way, you could submit your idea and vote it up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.