Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kmedici
Frequent Visitor

Power BI API - Activity Events - Schema

Hi, 

We have recently extracted the Power BI API data for Activity Events which contains in excess of 100 columns. 

I haven't been able to find anywhere that explains the columns, and whilst some seem self explanatory, I would rather not leave it down to guesswork. 

Where is the schema for this data that will provide me with column descriptions? 

Thanks
Kris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kmedici ,

According to my knowledge, if you want to know these columns well, you may need to dive into Power BI.

Here are several links about this issue, hope it would help you.

Please refer to:

Introducing the Power BI Activity Log | Blog de Microsoft Power BI | Microsoft Power BI 

Track user activities in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn 

About the Admin portal - Power BI | Microsoft Learn 

Detailed properties in the audit log - Microsoft Purview (compliance) | Microsoft Learn 

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kmedici ,

According to my knowledge, if you want to know these columns well, you may need to dive into Power BI.

Here are several links about this issue, hope it would help you.

Please refer to:

Introducing the Power BI Activity Log | Blog de Microsoft Power BI | Microsoft Power BI 

Track user activities in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn 

About the Admin portal - Power BI | Microsoft Learn 

Detailed properties in the audit log - Microsoft Purview (compliance) | Microsoft Learn 

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-jianboli-msft thanks a lot for the above. 

Based on my research and the help from you and @lbendlin it looks like Detailed properties in the audit log - Microsoft Purview (compliance) | Microsoft Learn is the closest thing that exists for what I'm after on this. It's still not 100% because it contains some columns which don't exist in the Activity Events data. Either way, I think this is what I have to settle for, for now. 

Thanks again for your guys' help. 

All the best,
Kris

kmedici
Frequent Visitor

Hi @lbendlin 

I really apprecitae your responses here. 

The JSON just returns only the column name and value. Ultimately, it would be great to know what the columns actually mean. Here is an example list of columns pulled from the API:

Id
RecordType
CreationTime
Operation
OrganizationId
UserType
UserKey
Workload
UserId
ClientIP
UserAgent
Activity
ItemName
WorkSpaceName
DatasetName
ReportName
DashboardName
OrgAppPermission.recipients
OrgAppPermission.permissions
CapacityId
CapacityName
SharingInformation
WorkspaceId
AppName
SwitchState
ObjectId
DatasetId
ReportId
DataConnectivityMode
DashboardId
Datasets
Schedules.RefreshFrequency
Schedules.TimeZone
Schedules.Days
Schedules.Time
ArtifactId
ArtifactName
ImportId
ImportSource
ImportType
ImportDisplayName

Are you familiar with any documentation that provides descriptions of what these columns mean / are driven from in Power BI?  Whilst some of the columns are really self explanatory, others aren't. 

Thanks again

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Not sure what you are referring to.  Doesn't seem to be related to Power BI REST APIs for embedded analytics and automation - Power BI REST API | Microsoft Learn

Hi there @lbendlin 

If you navigate to the link, expand Admin and then see Get Activity Events section, this is the process we have followed to obtain data via Power BI REST API. 

Now that we have the data from this API, I was wondering if a schema existed for it as some columns are ambiguous and, to effectively use our data, we would like some definition of what it actually means. 

I have began creating my own schema, but would rather not leave it down to assumptions. Plus there may be some other useful information there which, without knowing what the data means, would otherwise  be assumed as redundant. 

Thanks 🙂 

Seems like they added this API call rather recently. Anyway, the return JSON listed for the examples  seems to cover the entire schema?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors